• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help on M3a1 Scout Waterpump

Jeeagle

I am having hard time finding info on the repacking or servicing the waterpump on the scout car. Mainly photos.

The biggest issue is this one has a JXLD engine in it with oil cooler and looks like I have to pull it to get the waterpump off. I read in the manual I can repack the water pump situ but after un freezing the gland nut the brass nut that squeezes the packing will not come out far enough for me to get at the packing. TM just states it can be done but does not seem to give any clear instructions on how to do it.

Any info or help would be thankful for.

Jeeagle

Guess there is not many scout car people on here.

However tracked down that the Oil cooler is a original DAF Truck (Dutch Military I think) equipment and after translating half of a forum for said trucks I found the info to get the cooler and then pump off.

We sent the waterpump off to a place called Aurther Gouldings I believe in NY that specializes in rare waterpumps and fuel pumps. Will Report back on arrival and installation!

Jeeagle

Got the water pump back and have to say, I now have a go to people for this deal. They had to cut a new shaft and installed a new drive gear. I believe total bill was around $300(+ shipping). But for a basically new pump that you can not find anywhere I willing to bet that's an okay price when water isn't leaking out faster than you can pour in and you get a one year warranty top of it.

They told me they use a new-er style packing and in this style pump never suggest a newer seal as the only kind for use is a "lip" design which is not the kinda that should go on waterpumps due to wear.

I ended up re installing the Oil Cooler as finding the correct coolant jacket/filter assembly was difficult and or too hard for the time allotment I had. I really don't see any major reason for keeping the oil cooler but I'd imagine it will help during parades in the summer.

I had to remake three different gaskets and Instillation was just as much a pita as take off was due to a stud/nut that is hidden and very hard to access with the engine SITU.

While in there I re-clocked the Distributor to allow for better timing adjustment (not OE) before the wires would wedge against the generator not they sit facing straight back. Looks better overall.

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use them for all my water pumps, fuel pumps etc. Just sent a M38A1 fuel pump and it came back looking new with crap gas safe rubber parts. All for ~150 shipped both ways. Sending them the AX-160a water pump and fuel pump hopefully next week.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks