• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help please........

pvtross

on my m135 i am starting to do the troop seats.....i have the right bolts that go thru the wood and steel posts but dont KNOW WHAT KIND OF NUTS TO USE....4 sided square nut??????????? hex locking nut/like all the other nuts on the truck are....or just a hex nut/not a locking nut....
please help if you know,,,,,,,,
thanx a 2 and a half ton!!!!!!!
pvtross...

jatonka

Square nuts are Farm impliment machinery nuts. All the M135s and M211s I have seen in original condition have had hex nuts on the carrige bolts that hold the wood to the seat and back metal supports. I am an M35 guy, so please don't expect my post to be Gospel. JT out

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M211 had a hex self locking nut. Actually, two different kinds of them. If i were doing it, I would use hex nuts, self locking. Ask for Grade "C", self locking nuts, at the Fastener place.. It is a high quality interferance fit, locking nut. Lock washers are not good enough!

Lee in Alaska

williamh

the original ones had the square nuts ... the later ones had the "locking" nuts .. the m135 i got with the original side and head board had the square nuts on them ..

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know the theory behind why some manufacturers used square head bolts and nuts, rather than standard hex nuts, back in the day?

butch atkins

square nuts

ord 9 catalog, pg 487,ord part # 120399,NUT,PLAIN SQUARE:S,cd or zn plated,5/16-18NC-2,says for m135,m211,16 required for each side for side rack assy,if you were looking for restore by the book,i would just use flat washers w lock washers and hex nuts ,cheapest you could buy and paint them with a spray can to match ,for sure would use some type of locking washer or lock nut,to keep from losing the carriage bolts,i took my racks/troop seats off cause the damn things make way to much noise when you are driving,and they cut your visibility way down when your trail riding,just my opinion,and we all know opinions are like a##holes,everyone has one and they all stink except yours,good luck to all on your projects

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
maddawg308 said:
Does anyone know the theory behind why some manufacturers used square head bolts and nuts, rather than standard hex nuts, back in the day?
Not sure if it's fact, but my dad once told me, (and he's an old-timer), that the square hardware was for ease of use when an adjustable wrench was the common tool in the field. The hex was less forgiving to the farmer when he had to make a quick or simple repair in the field.

I made sense to me.

As for the troop seats; those will be carriage bolts with the head outward and a hex nut will give you easier access with a box-end wrench, especially inside those support channels. A square nut looks a little cheap to me. The wood that the carriage bites into is going to squeeze down and most likely that heavy OD paint is going to keep them from ever backing off. Self-locking nuts are the quality fix.

dc3coyote

I was told the same thing by both grand fathers, and my dad, both grandfathers were farmers.
I have even used them for that reason on my moms tractor,

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stainless is a good call.

I think the only drawback to stainless is that paint doesn't adhere to it very well, and will flake/peel off sooner and easier, leaving "silver dots" on a nice OD truck. Maybe not a problem if you spray it on heavy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks