• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with 10 Lug wheel conversion

shannondeese

I just picked up 4 new to me GoodYear MT/V 395 tires. Two of which are brand new. They came on 10 lug 11.5 inch pattern aluminum Bead Lock wheels. I am already running HMMT wheels though. Is there a ready made way that I can just order the parts and put them on these wheels to use them under my Deuce?

Attachments

3dAngus

Ready made...no.

Adapter plates have to be machined.

Im working on a lead now and if it works out Im hoping to do a larger group order.
PM me on Wednesday. I should know more by then. How many do you need?

Are those hemtt or mrap? Or are hemtt sometimes one and the same as a mrap?
Littleconfusion there. These vehicles came after my time so I just go by microfishe and my mounted 395s are listed as mrap.

Last edited:

shannondeese

These came off of the Artillery 5 ton. It is a 6x6 flat nosed missile launcher that the Marine Corps uses. I'm not sure what the Mil-Spec number is on them though. There's only a few on Pendleton.

3dAngus

OK. I just read up on the technicals of MRAP too.

My new wheels were listed for the Cougar MRAP.

Could not find a suitable match for hemtt mrap but I do believe some of these same wheels will go on both.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
MRAP wheels will not fit a 5 ton or the M915 series either. Leave it to the contractors not to standardize. I think there was a previous thread about recentering those wheels.

The MRAP axles have been selling off GL the last few weeks.....if I had the money I would consider buying some for R&D.

If you have to swap the tires onto other rims you have a bunch of scrap aluminum to offset your cost.

shannondeese

The more I look into these wheels the harder it seems to be to get them to mount up to the Deuce. But man they look COOL. The funny part is I can get 4 more just like them but I need to wait to see if I can even use them.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MRAP wheels will not fit a 5 ton or the M915 series either. Leave it to the contractors not to standardize. I think there was a previous thread about recentering those wheels.

The MRAP axles have been selling off GL the last few weeks.....if I had the money I would consider buying some for R&D.

If you have to swap the tires onto other rims you have a bunch of scrap aluminum to offset your cost.
The large pattern MRAP make adapting much easier for the deuce though.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The HIMARS base vehicle is a FMTV. Those wheels don't look like standard FMTV wheels, but I'd wager the axles and hubs are standard.

treeguy

I'd do just what others have mentioned, swap the tires to the hemtts you already have. It looks like the off set on those aluminum wheels is way more than what you want on a deuce. Machining them and installing adapter plates would be more tricky and costly than getting more hemtts or making FMTVs work.
2cents

edit - although, the more I look at them, it seems you may be able to do the same thing that I did with FMTV wheels. The face of the aluminum (outside) looks further outboard, but I think it is to add thickness for strength. The inside mating surface may be just right to add an adapter plate of 1/2" steel with deuce 6 lug and bolt with the studs already there. (adapter plate on the back/inside aluminum surface) But you wouldn't be able to tack weld the plate to the inner wheel piece for ease of tire repairs.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The HIMARS base vehicle is a FMTV. Those wheels don't look like standard FMTV wheels, but I'd wager the axles and hubs are standard.
Those are just made of aluminum...; stud-centered 2pc tubeless bolt together design; wheel width; stud hole circle; pilot hole, backspace; all seems to be the same as for the steel FMTV wheels.

Definitely NOT MRAP wheels.

G.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
OK. I just read up on the technicals of MRAP too.

My new wheels were listed for the Cougar MRAP.

Could not find a suitable match for hemtt mrap but I do believe some of these same wheels will go on both.
MRAP wheels and HEMMT wheels are completely different from each other, MRAP lug bolt pattern is much larger and the offset is much different as well. My opinion is that the MRAP wheels are much easier to use on a deuce and safer than modified HEMMT wheels.

calvin3103

mrap rims question and advise

i think these are MRAP rims with CTI on them here is the link and these will not fit on a five ton *************

Mod Note; Links to active auctions or Craigslist ads are prohibited. Please review the rules.

Attachments

Last edited:

treeguy

Thanks for the picture, my conversion is for sure with FMTV/LMTV wheels. You pic. of MRAP's, HEMMT's, and FMTV/LMTV's are all different. The first attached picture is what I had to work with. The second is my conversion compared to a standard deuce wheel with 11.00/20 Michilins (all six having bad dry cracking, hence the upgrade).

Attachments

trooper632

what are FMTV wheels, I just bought some out of hooks, (which I have yet to pick up but they look like the wheel/tire combo as posted above in treeguy's photo, which ones are those

shannondeese

I have decided to not use the wheels. They are a 10 lug pattern on an 11 3/4 bolt pattern. The center hole is 8 inches in diameter. So I would have to mating out the entire center and weld in a new center just to get them to work. Not worth the effort. So I'll either scrap the wheels for the aluminum or trade them to someone that wants them. No Biggie.

treeguy

FMTV's are a newer vehicle - Family of Medium Tactical Vehicle or LMTV - Light Medium Tactical Vehicle. The first picture is a LMTV from Google and the second is a FMTV, also from Google. The wheel job converting the steel FMTV's to the deuce was pretty easy but time consuming.

Attachments

brianp454

Hello from Portland, OR

I have decided to not use the wheels. They are a 10 lug pattern on an 11 3/4 bolt pattern. The center hole is 8 inches in diameter. So I would have to mating out the entire center and weld in a new center just to get them to work. Not worth the effort. So I'll either scrap the wheels for the aluminum or trade them to someone that wants them. No Biggie.
Please don't scrap them! I know there are 2+ folks out there making some sort of adapter plates for different types of wheels. I’ve never seen a type for sale that fits your type of wheel. I'm an engineer so designing, manufacturing, machining, etc. is a breeze. Also considering selling them to others seeking to run super singles on modified 10-lug wheels of different types.

shannondeese

I'm trading a set of the wheels to Stazworks for a set of adapters for the other set I have to fit my Deuce. So in the future if anyone else ends up with a set call Stazworks and you can get a set of adapters for them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks