• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hemi swap modern or vintage. Parts list?

M54a2weasel

Turns out the motor in my M37 I just bought might be garbage. The silver lining is I have a 331 hemi and aces to a 5.7. I have herd the 331 hemi “just bolts right up” but I have not seen it done or seen a parts list. I would really appreciate the help or any other ideas.

ps this is my first post in over 7 years! It’s great to be back!

nattieleather

I don't know how much I can add but if it was my choice I would go with the 331 and avoid the 5.7. The modern hemi's from my understanding have soft cams that can go south on you if you're not religious with your oil changes. Also going with the older motor means no need for the electronic to run it. All mechanical.

As for being a drop in I believe you will have to fabricate the motor mounts or find one of the "kits" that have been out there to put a V8 into the M37 so it's not a just drop in, but the modifications are not that hard to do. Hopefully someone with more know will let you know about clutch and transmission hook up etc.

Good luck with your project and show us lots a pics.

M54a2weasel

I don't know how much I can add but if it was my choice I would go with the 331 and avoid the 5.7. The modern hemi's from my understanding have soft cams that can go south on you if you're not religious with your oil changes. Also going with the older motor means no need for the electronic to run it. All mechanical.

As for being a drop in I believe you will have to fabricate the motor mounts or find one of the "kits" that have been out there to put a V8 into the M37 so it's not a just drop in, but the modifications are not that hard to do. Hopefully someone with more know will let you know about clutch and transmission hook up etc.

Good luck with your project and show us lots a pics.
I agree. I am going with the 331 hemi. The motor mounts don’t scare me at all but getting the adapter from the motor to the trans does. That is the missing piece right now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks