• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hercules D198 Lubrication Question

PeterD

Here is a tough question, hopefully someone knows:

What is the path that the oil follows up to the rocker arm shaft? I don't see an oil port from the block to the head, and I don't see clearance on the head studs, but suspect it is allowed to travel up the head studs that hold the rocker arm shaft to the head. Can someone there confirm, and is there any cleaning needed if it is at the studs to ensure there is proper lubrication for the rocker arms and valve train?

When the engine was (last?) built, someone had put sealant on the head studs at the block (that's all wrong, IMHO!) I don't see oil starvation signs, however.

PeterD

A Hercules expert has informed me that the (rear) stud on the rocker arm has been drilled with an oil feed hole! I'd felt around, and didn't feel any hole--

It took a mirror, a good light but yes, there is an oil feed hole in the rear-most stud! Facing back towards the rear of the engine, where it was only visible with the mirror, and the hole is relatively small, too... But it is there, and that answers the question of how the rocker arms are lubricated!

:D

(So this closes the thread, and maybe some day in the distant future, someone will find value in what I found!)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks