• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

here it is coming home

macibell111

well today. finally picked up my 43 gpw today i got it home at 2:00 and started working on it at 3:00.starting the photo process too.took out the roll bar started checking for rust.body is very good just a couple of hat channels and one of the rear compartments is rusted out some.the engine turns freely with a wrench on it.it need alot of things like wiring, paint .clutch ,transmission has been rebuilt but not put in yet ,it came with all new clutch parts original handbooks and alot of literature .tm8-803 .etc.here are a few pics ,i will try to keep my progress updated .also i have a line on a free capstan winch.that will sweeten the pot for sure.hope it is the right one for this jeep.the guy i am getting it from said it does but he never got a gpw so he wants to give it to me ,dont know if it comes wirth any hardware but if not i hope it is available somewhere.thanks. comment if u like

Attachments

macibell111

this also has newer denman tire on it .but they are 7.00 x16 not 6.00 x16.but they still have the nubs on them .they are also the round shoulder not the square,so i might be looking a gift horse in the mouth,i can put the 500 plus dollars into other stuff

dmetalmiki

You have great find in that Ford jeep. People I know over here ship jeeps over all the time to renovate, and they are usually in a far far worse state than the one you have acquired. It has no "welded" front desert tow bumpers, Rear modified chassis tow fixtures, It is still original equipment, dynamo and 6 volt system, (KEEP them). OK, that might be a hodgkiss head (or engine) but they had better (modern metallurgy and) bearings etc anyway, When you have the "oil can" and horn,and petrol filter, 99% of seems would be present. And those tires. Great!. I have 700x16 Round Profile tire on all three of my WW11. Jeeps. A better ride, definitely less revs and better cruise. All this and great stance. (looks). Do please post up the story and pictures of your ongoing restoration.

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you save those radiator hose clips. Originals are much better than the repro's which tend to leak like swiss cheese.

macibell111

going to take the body off tomarrow .i cleaned the fenders and found alot of old repairs ,looks as if it was on omaha beach.i know it was in europe at one time.going to keep the original patina,i could get repo fenders but that would be taking the easy way out.want to keep it as original as i can. will start the frame cleaning tomarrow .ordered alot of new parts for it .have to keep the momemtom going.more pics to come

Attachments

macibell111

progress on 43gpw

these are pics of my progress today.after helping a friend tomarrow i will remove the rear springs and axle and clean the old fashion way wire wheel and drill it takes alot lon ger but here ic calif it is hard to find anyone locally to sandblast they say it is too expensive.so elbow grease is the only way for me.more to come in the next few days

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks