• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HETS In Korea

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
The new HET tractor and trailer are an awesome rig. I saw lots of them in Iraq and a few in Afghanistan but here in Korea they require special road clearances beyond what they did over there similar to America. We have them in a special company being driven and maintained by the Korean Service Corps. These are the same men whose predicessors hauled fuel on their backs with an A frame. Here are a couple of shots for you. These are huge as I am 6' 4" and you can see how I am dwarfed by the truck.

Attachments

M1075

Looking good David! (the trucks not you) [thumbzup]

Glad the trucks are working out for you. Others haven't been so lucky:

wreckerman893 said:
That is the HETT (Heavy Equipment Transporter).
It was (IMHO) designed by an idiot after lenghty consultation with a pack of morons (probably retired Transportation officers working for the builder).
It has a fuel sucking, two stroke Driptroit V-8 diesel (other application for this engine is boat anchor), an automatic transmission and the rear axle steers to help this abortion go around corners.
The trailer is an equal nightmare, the last three sets axles of the trailer steer because it's too hard to train drivers to swing wide on turns.
And speaking of axles the ones on the trailer are stub axles, two narrow tires on each one. After a while each axle tracks in a different direction. It's cheaper to buy new tires than to try to keep them in alignment.
When my unit trained on these nightmares I pissed the pogue from Oshkosh off when I showed him on paper that for what this POS cost I could have bought two superior civilian rigs for the same money.
Your tax dollars at work. :roll:
You could not run fast enough to give me one of these much less sell me one.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
It was my thought too when they came out with so many steering axles and the hydraulics on the trailer needing a pony engine to run them. The real issue is the old HET was understrength and a truck moving our MBT has to have strength and HP to move it. We got what we got and whining does not help anything. The biggest improvement I could see is a truck based fire extinguishing system since I saw a lot of them that burned up in Iraq.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
James, the HET that I saw looked identical (at least to me) to the current issue HETs shown above. I am sure there are some differences, but I could not see any that stood out. I wish I had saved some pics of it...I believe it was tan. It definitely was not the truck listed in the link that you attached. I was shocked it was available, but it seems that some stuff becomes available overseas before it does in the US.

JDToumanian

It has a fuel sucking, two stroke Driptroit V-8 diesel (other application for this engine is boat anchor).
GASP! A Detroit Hater! ...knew they existed, never met one. They can see that my blood flows Alpine Green from a mile away and they keep their distance. :D

The modern silicone lined gasket sets seal oil leaks very well and for a long time. There are plenty of dry Detroits these days, as members of Detroit groups will attest.

The H.P. per cubic inch of a 2-stroke diesel is almost impossible to beat... How could you? ...it's got twice as many power strokes as a 4-stroke. That and the legendary reliability are probably why the military chose them.

Oxides of nitrogen (and a healthy helping of ignorance) are what made the 2-stroke diesel obsolete. Roger Penske (owner of Detroit Diesel at the time) chose to not update the design to keep pace with emissions regulations and develop a 4-stroke replacement instead. Don't think the design could have cleaned up enough for the EPA? Just look at railroads and ships... all those big 2-strokes meet (and in many cases exceed) current emissions regulations... even when the original design in many cases dates back to the 1960s. It's all about air flow, and cam (including fuel injection) timing.

Jon

M1075

Elwenil said:
I seem to remember one of the guys with one of the off road magazines uses one of these or something similar as a tow vehicle.
I have seen the article and it is a really cool setup. He just used the same front clip to make it look the same. It is not a true HET. Let me see if I can find it....

M1075

The first pic barely shows his rock crawler, rumored to be one of original tube buggies and very capable. I think he won Top Truck Challenge. Maybe Spicergear knows him and can comment more on his rig. I am working on a similar setup.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The owner of that HET-looking rig is Soni Honegger. He has had that truck, and several other military-spec amalgamachines in Four Wheeler magazine over the years. I liked this truck of his: 1976 Dodge Ramcharger with a 426 hemi, Torqueflite 727 tranny, 40" mudders, OD green paint job and several cans of whoop-a$$.

Attachments

dma251

After much searching I finally found a pic of the HET that I saw in a 4x4 mag. I somehow got it in my head that it was a new style HET - now I see that it's not.

Looks pretty cool, though.

Attachments

Elwenil

Ahh, now that I see pics of the two trucks together, I can see the differences. Still a very cool rig.

My Ramcharger Project is based a little on Soni's "War Wagon" Ramcharger. Mine won't be Hemi powered obviously, but with the exception on the EFI 318 and NP435 4 speed, the drivetrain will be the same. I already had the canvas top bit with my bob'd W100 so I'm leaving the Ramcharger body intact except for a few mods like a frenched in HMMWV style fording exhaust stack and air intake.

DMgunn

His buggy was called the Scorpion MK-something or other. It was a quantum leap in suspension technology, so much so that many people couldn't understand how it worked even after seeing it in person. The government procured some for a use that I am unaware of. Very cool, esp. the Cummins-powered examples......will try to find a pic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks