• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hey guys, long time, no posts!

LowtechRedneck

But I'm back now, yay for me and finaly being able to finagle a way back onboard after a perisstant log in issue.

Anyways, thought I'd update ya'll. As you may or may not remember, we were getting our M35 and trailer spruced up for the car show, and I'm happy to report that we came home with 2nd place in the millitary vehicles class. There were about 5 or 6 of us there that day, lots of M151's and an older M37 but we had the ONLY deuce and it was a real crowd pleaser.

The kids of course loved it, it's just like a big Tonka truck.

And the guys loved it, for the same reason, it's a big truck they WISH they had the time and space to play with.

But what made it all worth it was somthing else. Every now and then, you'd see a guy walk up to it, a guy in his early 40's or older. He wouldn't say a word, he'd just walk around the truck slowly, stopping at every major feature and just staring at it in silence. He wouldn't say anything but you could hear those gears in his mind turning as he relived a lot of memories. Then his wife, or the rest of his family would catch up to him, and they'd go off to see the rest of the show. You could tell that just for a moment, that truck was taking him back to when he was in his 20's, and either driving one stateside, or possibly in Vietnam, but either way, you just KNEW you'd made some old vet's day. And THAT made it all worth it.

We'll definately be going back next year, and possibly to some other shows since we had such a blast

For those interrested in pics of the "final product" check out these links

http://www.revrend.net/ltr/pictures/summerdeuce.jpg
http://redneck.theexitwound.com/pictures/coolcruisedeuce1.jpg

And if that wasn't enough, our neighbor Walter who helped us fix our M35 up couldn't resist the temptation any longer and bought his own. We have to go pick it up for him at Letterkenny in mid October here sometime, so I'll keep you posted on that

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=670026

edited to get sig working

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Your truck looks great. [thumbzup]

Low-Tech-Redneck

It's a "replica" replacement from a company I can't remember at the moment, but I can go look it up for you, it was intended for use on somthing else, some other kind of truck I think, because the sides had to be hemmed up by 4-5 inches and new eyelets for the ropes installed for it to fit a 2.5 ton, but after that, it worked perfectly.

rdixiemiller

I have the same thing happen to me with the old vets. We went to the McIntosh Native American reserve Pow Wow last week. My wife paints faces, I show off my truck. A lot of the N.A. men are vets, and I had one take it around the field for a spin with 10 vets in the back. One told me his last ride in a deuce was in '67, when he was being medevacked after playing "toss back the grenade" with the VC. The last one he tossed removed several fingers and gave him a load of schrapnel.
The old truck does bring back their memories.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks