• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hi all. New member here

Hunter2506

Well, after several attempts to register, I'm finally online. :D Anyway, I just got back from Warner-Robins AFB last thursday with my new baby:

Stewart (was written on the hood, now it's his name) is a '66 Kaiser with Hercules LDT-465 and T136-21 T-case. I rode my old Honda Interceptor down there (1470 miles) and then loaded it into the deuce after replacing batteries, bleeding the brakes and finding the open in the lighting power circuit. It took two days of being beat to death to get home, but now begins the fun! The sprags in the T-case are shot and the master cylinder is leaking that expensive DOT-5 fluid at an alarming rate, but I've already ordered a new master and sprags from Memphis equipment, along with a service manual, a couple filter kits, belts, light bulbs, weatherstrip, wipers and front window frames. Also ordered a used T 136-27 T-case that I will go through later and install if/when the sprags fail again. Other than the front drive output, everything is operational (very fortunate, since i had no way of verifing its driving condition prior to riding that uncomfortable bike half way across the country) He'll be repainted soon in a darker OD and the only markings will be white stars on the doors.

That said, I am needing some help to find a heater unit and winter radiator cover. It gets plenty chilly out here on the Eastern plains of Colorado when the snow starts flying, and Stewart is to be my bad weather vehicle now (my poor old 1980 Powerwagon keeps snapping front stub shafts in those 4 and 5 foot snow drifts across the driveway).

I'm just happy to finally have a deuce. Wanted one forever, but they just aren't that easy to aquire around here. People who have them don't sell, and none of the local bases ever seem to liquidate.

Any and all tips and tricks are welcome, as this is a first for me. I'm pretty capable, but this thing has a steep learning curve for a guy who has always worked on light duty gasoline powered stuff.

On a personal note, I'm 25 years old, married with no kids and turn wrenches on cars and light trucks to pay my mortgage. My other Hobby vehicles include the old Power Wagon (1/2 ton, 440, 4 speed w/ 4" lift and 35's), my '51 Dodge D100 rat rod, '87 Daytona Shelby and my pride and joy, a B-5 blue '69 Charger R/T clone (currently minus powertrain). I love the Colorado outdoors and live to hunt, which I do with my little sister and father-in-law. I am also quite the gun nut; I collect just about everything that goes bang. No title II stuff just yet, but I'm trying to figure out how to fund a Ma deuce for Stewart :twisted: .

Glad to be aboard.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! There is an extensive library here on this site, so before ya go paying big dollars for hard copies, look here. If you don't see it, ask. Someone might have it. E-bay has alot of things, including the winter front you seek, be warned, alot of people think the accessories for these are gold plated. Shop around. Check out OD Iron, one of the sponsers here, I think he has master cyls or the kits for them. GET THE MANUALS and READ them, including the Multifuel Operators Manual..in the library too! Don't be afraid to ask questions, lots of knowledge here and all are more than willing to help out. BEWARE, This stuff if addicting! Have fun. Oh yeah, check the member locator map, there might be someone close to you.

OSO

Welcome to SS one heck of a site !! Lot of info floating around on this site, keep watching and it will pop up . I had a hard time to get logged on myself , kinda of frustrating. I finally got on . Keep the fire going with old OD iron!! [thumbzup] OSO

Hunter2506

There is a wealth of knowledge here so if you have a question, just ask.
Actually, I do have one; What on God's green earth is the round steel plate on the grille for? Everything else on the truck has a purpose, but I can't for the life of me figure that one out :?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome!! :beer:

And another Mopar guy!! :beer: :beer:

Truck looks good.

The bridge plate displays a # which designates which grade of bridge is required for the truck to safely cross. Your typical Deuce cargo truck should be an "8". This is why you'll sometimes see Deuces with an "8" enclosed by a circle painted on the passenger door.

No.2Diesel

Military Vehicles and MoPars go together like peanut butter & jelly. :eek: My Cuda, Valiant, Fury, & Charger were getting lonely :| Welcome. Deuces are just as much fun and are very practical. Enjoy!

ONTOS66

Welcome aboard. As has been noted previously, there are lots of TMs, Los, etc. for the deuce available for download in the reference section. Then there is a great cast of characters online who probably have enough spares stashed here and there to build another truck - and if something has been broken on one (probably by them) they also know how to fix it.

The plains of Colorado, been there, done that!

Enjoy your new toy! ;)

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome.

Good advice from willwagner. Read, then ask. There is a ton of knowledge here and I am impressed everyday with what I read from others.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks