• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hi Back Driver & Commander seat conversion - Military 12446950

JetbikeAnt

Hello All.

I'm getting ready to upgrade my original seats to something that looks more comfortable and adjustable without going out side of the Military.

I was told this kit was a plug and play. Not so much now that I have it. Rivet removal, drilling, and battery box cutting and now this. I have done all the work on my M988 to this point which I'm proud of, but I'm no Metal Fabricator. LOL

It says I should install the "seat back repositioning kit 57K3220 to the Commander's seat prior to installation. I tried pulling it up on the Web to see what it is, but have had no luck. Anyone know what it is? Is this an essential item? Can it be added after the fact being I'm going to try and get the Commander seat done tomorrow? The Driver side looks to be even more challenging! Any pictures would be great!

Has anyone done this conversion? Thanks for listening!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s a kit part number....not a part number to a component in the kit.
the directions should be in the kit.
the battery box gets a metal reinforcement plate on top of the fiber glass battery cover.
is your kit complete?

JetbikeAnt

That’s a kit part number....not a part number to a component in the kit.
the directions should be in the kit.
the battery box gets a metal reinforcement plate on top of the fiber glass battery cover.
is your kit complete?
Yes the Kit is complete. It states on the first page of the directions that kit 57K3220 should be installed before installing Kit 57K0290, Hence my question.

sf1954

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have installed the seat modification kit (57K0290). It was not that hard, just a lot of work removing rivets on the drivers side. The passenger side was easy. You made small cut in the battery housing, add reinforcing plate on the back, cover plate on the top of the fiberglass cover, and some bolting together. I also just looked at my instructions (#12446950 dated 8-10-95) and could not find any reference to the parts you are asking about. Your instructions must be different from mine. You may PM me if you would like to talk.

DREDnot

Cant find anything related to the 3220 kit. Just reference back to the 0290 kit page. I know I didnt install one
It seems like its for M996/M997 and a few other variants. Not the M998, though.

Installing the seat kit looks complicated in the instructions but if you only work on one step at a time and take the time to read out the steps it is an easy afternoon project.

An important thing to have is a few of the correct drill bits to drill out the rivets.

DSCN8155.JPG

The most time consuming part is removing the drivers seat base...neatly...

DSCN8170.JPG

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Cant find anything related to the 3220 kit. Just reference back to the 0290 kit page. I know I didnt install one
It seems like its for M996/M997 and a few other variants. Not the M998, though.

Installing the seat kit looks complicated in the instructions but if you only work on one step at a time and take the time to read out the steps it is an easy afternoon project.

An important thing to have is a few of the correct drill bits to drill out the rivets.

View attachment 809093

The most time consuming part is removing the drivers seat base...neatly...

View attachment 809094
Boy that a clean old seat bracket. When I did mine and after the first few drilled out WA PITA... 🤔 got the air hammer AKA rivet gun with a slightly sharpen chisel faced tool and sheared the little buggers right off in a couple of minutes. Replaced chisel with punch and BAP, BAP, BAP, BAP to clear the stuck shanks. Zero hole elongation. It's going to the scrap bin anyway???

They didn't teach us that at Lockheed. Then again it's a HumV, CAMO

AAVP7

On the second page of the instructions for 57K0290 there´s a statement that on M996, M997, M1037, M1042 and M1097 vehicles, the "seat back repositioning modification kit 57K3220" should be applied to the commander´s seat prior. So, no need for M998 vehicles.

I guess that on the ambulances, which have a bulkhead right behind the seats, the seat back might interfere with the bulkhead. And probably that´s the same reason on the shelter carriers.

Being an M997 owner, and thinking about upgrading to high-back seats, I also looked all over the web for instructions for 57K3220, but no luck. Very elusive kit.

sf1954

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Google search brings up 57K3220 is NSN 2540-01-429-9903. The only info I can find, it is seat modification kit for seats in an ambulance or a truck with a shelter on it. Hopefully someone else can figure what is in the kit.

JetbikeAnt

Thanks for all the help gents. The Commander seat is in and looks great. Feels great too!

We will tackle the Driver's seat next. An area of concern is the mounting dimensions for the new Driver seat rail mounts, as in I cannot make some of the dimensions out on the print they gave me. Is there a clean PDF out there so I can make sure I'm right? Measure twice cut once, but that's hard to do when you cant make the numbers out. Thanks again!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am curious about the 57K3220 re-position kit, I am going to install the A2 seat upgrade kit in a M998 with a shelter.

Action

The modification for the ambulance or shelters is an extra pair of holes in the "boomarang" seat brackets. This allows the seatback to be more of an upright position. This is really only important on the commander seat. The driver seat is adjustable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks