• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

High flow fill neck - fuel truck end?

kallisti5

I was poking around looking for a new fuel tank cap for my M1009 (and quickly realizing my current cap with the clogged vent is worth it's weight in gold) and stumbled across a military fuel truck nozzle on eBay...

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-tip.jpg

It kind of looks "correct". (The end is a clamp which would seemingly fit over the lip on the fill neck)
I won't link directly to it, but title is "Used CCR Pressure Fuel Filling Nozzle, for Military Refueling Trucks"

EDIT: Nevermind. Keith_J confirmed I was pretty off-base here.

Anyway, biggest nozzle i'll use is the semi-truck gas pumps... just thought it was interesting since the fill neck standard the CUCV used kind of got lost to time.

Last edited:

Keith_J

That looks like aviation use. Every fuel tanker I filled from had the jumbo nozzle, anything under 50 gallon tank was filled by gravity as it was far below the tanker level. Earth moving equipment sometimes required pump operation as the tank could be higher and some were very large, like Cat 621 scrapers, Case W24 C loaders and of course the D7 and D9 bulldozers.

That was my experience with the M 49C.

kallisti5

That looks like aviation use. Every fuel tanker I filled from had the jumbo nozzle, anything under 50 gallon tank was filled by gravity as it was far below the tanker level. Earth moving equipment sometimes required pump operation as the tank could be higher and some were very large, like Cat 621 scrapers, Case W24 C loaders and of course the D7 and D9 bulldozers.

That was my experience with the M 49C.
Ah. Thanks for filling in the gap here. Was trying to figure out standard names to see if we could locate caps not tied to the CUCV via part numbers / etc.

I've seen folks mentioning the CUCV could be tanker-filled with the "extremely high volume" filler neck (at least triple a semi-truck high volume nozzle). I fill up by looking in the fill-neck and looking for diesel bubbling up.

cucvrus

Strange as it is they made the fuel filler cap all huge and the neck fitting going into the tank is the same size as every civilian fuel tank that was ever made. Nothing impressive about the fuel fill system on a CUCV. You can fill up at he truck island.
Happy Holidays.

Keith_J

My diesel burning Kraut rocket (I'm half German, I have license to use that term) has a large filler neck too. I've used truck pumps. Fills up in 5 seconds.
Back to military fueling, the M 49C had nozzles a bit larger than commercial truck pumps. The 5 ton tanker trucks, made with a fold down bed model, had a bit larger nozzles.
The governing dimension is the main bung on a fuel drum. Same size and thread as a Jerry can..they interchange. Since the Jerry can vents through a tube on the sealing flange, nozzles fit with a good bit of slop so Joe won't get a JP8 shower and could see the fuel level.

Most military generators under 20kW come with a remote fuel kit which fits Jerry cans and with an extension tube, a 55 gallon drum. I used to set up the TOC generation bunker too. Drums buried, those holes provided the dirt for the walls, sound baffles and exhaust chimney. I lived in warmth on winter bivouacs, ear plugs in with hot coffee from the muffler "stove".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks