• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Highway Cruising Speed

Hummer Guy

Just curious on what you guys cruising speeds are in the humvee and in which model? My 2002 M1123 best cruising speed is 2,300 RPMs at 60Mph, I have the blocky radio communication top so it's a bit of a drag on it, but either way I feel the 6.5 is very comfortable at 2,300 RPMs and still have a lot of power at this RPM range. I have a viscous fan clutch setup and the temp would stay around 180-195 the whole time without going pass that, so I don't even have to worry about the fan fully engaging on the highway either unless it's extremely hot outside.

I used to cruise at 65-70 but now I've gotten to like the peace of mind of the engine not sounding like it's going to nuke itself.

One time in my civvie truck I had passed someone doing 55mph on the highway and he still caught me at the exit that was 10 miles away, so I've learned the extra speed doesn't save me much on time either way.

Attachments

HUMMER H1

2001 1097, 6.5 w 4 speed. 55-60 at 2200ish. Has plenty of power to do more, but just more comfortable at that speed and RPM's. I must be getting old.....
no it’s not getting old , it’s understanding the truck,
2005 M1123 does 60 no problem but don't have a tach (yet) so no clue the rpm. What I do know is my speedo is off close to 10 mph. I use a gps speedo.
I use my phone GPS speedometer app
It’s very accurate,

Awol

Rt95 and Rt495 are like super speedways around here, so if you're going slower than 70mph, you've basically become a road hazzard.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M998 with the stock TH400 three speed was barely convoy speed of 45MPH.
Upgraded to the 4L80E and I don't have the guts to go over 60. Nobody has dared yet to give me the finger. :burn:
Somehow Juan Prado swears he drives 70MPH in his three speed. One wonders if moonshine and zydeco music have affected his perceptions. Something about his truck is special.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3-Speed TH400, 6.5L engine (replaced a 6.2L). I can comfortably go 60. I've had it up to 70 _ONCE_ to avoid being run over on the freeway.. but generally I keep it 55-60, anything more then 60 and I worry greatly.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somehow Juan Prado swears he drives 70MPH in his three speed. One wonders if moonshine and zydeco music have affected his perceptions. Something about his truck is special.
I used to run my M998 (the Detroit) at 70 because I wanted it to blow up so I could modify it, it never did so I put a 6 speed and a turbo 6.5L in it anyway.
I now cruise comfortably at 75-80 @ 2200/2250 RPM in the DuraVee, Texas is too big for 55 :LOL:

M1165A1

Both of my 6.5T/4 trucks can cruise pretty comfortably around 65 MPH @ 2200-300 RPM on level roads.

Luckily the climb over the pass to get out of town is a 50 MPH zone so I don't need to push the engine too hard on the 6.5 miles of 7% grade.

I do feel like an old grandma sometimes on I-70 in the 75 MPH zone as I don't like to go quite that fast and everyone is going 90 MPH anyway.

Lawdog734

It's different for each of my trucks, but it sounds like we're all trending the same when it comes to those with the 4L80's. The biggest thing for me is that if it sounds like you're pushing it too much, you probably are.

I could comfortably cruise at 60-65 in the M1097A2 that was converted into a GMV with gunroof, no sponsons, etc.
I can comfortably cruise at 65 or so in the M1151A1 that's been converted over to a GMV light - so the sponsons have been removed and rails added. I did add a wicked wheel and adjustable waste gate to this truck.

The thing that's funny is that I've taken to driving my son's 3-speed M1038 with soft-top a lot lately and have forgotten how peppy the 3-speeds can be. It's got plenty of "git up and go", but will comfortably cruise at 55 without sounding like you're going to blow it up, I've occasionally taken it up to 60 if I need to pass a tractor, etc. The same rules apply to it as it does the other trucks - get in the right lane and go. I wouldn't take it out on the interstate, but then again, I'm in no hurry to do the same with the others either. I'm pretty fortunate that I really don't need to worry about that where I live.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks