• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hitch Fabrication

redrustyhill

The pintle can be detached from a m923 but there is no civilian hitch that would replace it and even if there was it would be way to high for any civilian trailer. The 923a2 pintle is at least 3 feet off the ground.

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The OP did a fine job. No doubt!

There are many ways to skin this cat. I looked at it for days and then I
decided to do things a little differently for my 5 TON. I considered the space and
laws and decided I should go w/ a much wider hitch assembly
to try to help prevent beheading folks who might rear end me and
to make a decent way to carry safely a Medium TowBar.

I am not perfect, nor are the law(s) but here is what I found to work very well
trying to take all issues into consideration.

My way is not perfect, it is just another way.

You can buy the main crossbar you see in my pics online, all welded up,
then just add my drops and gussets and sometimes adjust other parts
and then just weld things up and paint!. I used a certified welder just to make sure
I was doing things per code / the law to the best I can, trying to not leave any
stones unturned.

(Insert Shameless Plug Here) ;
FWIW, I sell the 4 brackets you see below. I do not sell the cross bar or hardware
nor the towbar or it's holder or hardware et al. My parts are all water jet precision cut and sent to you,
so you can have a certified welder weld / fit it all up and use it off road only, and
under 1 MPH MAX! (there, I appeased the law-gods)
HA! (Personally I have abused mine tremendously and no failures anywhere on it! )

NOTE the added TowBar and it's bracketry and U-Bolts I made so I have a
Towbar with me always wherever I go for me or others.

View attachment 519861 View attachment 519862 View attachment 519863 View attachment 519864
That is exactly what I was thinking for my M925. Can you PM me with a price on the brackets.

Bonzai30

Thanks. I'm not currently planning on pulling military trailers, but it would be nice to be able to pull my boat or my car, and there are way more trailer options in the civilian market for boats and cars. It's too bad there's no drop hitch that could bolt into the same bolt pattern that the pintle uses. But if the pintle is 3 ft high and a normal civilian trailer is ideally around 18 inches, that would be quite a drop and perhaps not doable for heavier loads due to the force. My boat weighs 13,000 lbs plus the trailer weight, so we're in class v hitch territory.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Certainly there are many ways to skin a cat and a great deal of skill, time, & energy, as well as good ideas, have gone into these hitches. But too, I hate to see the utility of the stock hitch impaired because of "add ons". And certainly, for pulling civilian & smaller trailers, there is a need for a secondary, lower hitch. The receiver though should not be too close (high), to the stock pintle, and it should not extend rearward, of it. Just use longer shafting to extend the lower hitch rearward, to where you need it, with the needed offset, to get the tongue level. Then it shouldn't restrict the use of pulling a standard heavy military or commercial trailer, when needed, such as an emergency.

I'm pulling a stock M989 ammo trailer with Medusa back in July, on a little road trip, I have yet to write up. The fit is tight, but the configuration of the hitch on a Deuce & a 5 Ton, are about the same, except for being taller, on the latter. I added a couple of 1" spacers to the front of the M989 to get a little more room - scratches can be seen where the bumperetts came in contact when I was backing in a tight spot. I added some other pictures of some of the hitches I have for different applicationsDSCN0003.jpgDSCN0013.jpgDSCN0022.jpgDSCN0002.jpgDSCN0005.jpgDSCN0008.jpg

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a couple more pictures of my heavy car hauling trailer, that I meant to include. Because of the tall hitch post on it, I use the lower, add-on hitch, but with an longer shaft (about a foot long, is all it takes), on the pintle. About These are all common variations, and I want to be able to pull them all. As for lights, I have LED's in this trailer and use the add-on "7 round pin commercial plug. Otherwise, I use a light bar for commercial stuff, when its not my trailer.DSCN0012.jpgDSCN0014.jpg

Artisan

Snip

Can you PM me with a price on the brackets.
Yes, and PM Sent. If others jump in the price will drop.

If anyone wants to know shipping costs unless I quote free ride CONUS the parts weigh 56 pounds.
(1/2" Thick STEEL )

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks