• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMVs coming from Hawaii

majorhavoc67

I realize there is a good chunk of change in getting a vehicle shipped to the states from Hawaii but they seem to sell on GP awfully cheap compared to stateside. Do buyers just not want to mess with the shipping or is there anything consistently wrong with the trucks from the islands?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And likely not able to put them on the road there, there was a bill ( S.B. 2849 ) but I am not sure if it passed and if it did it was only for former military vehicles 25 years old or older.
It would be interesting to see if a service personnel could have one shipped on Uncle Sam's dollar, my old man used to take a vehicle with him and sell it when his tour was up, back in the day the most popular one in the Philippines was a 6cyl chevy with three on the tree. :LOL:
He brought a VW back from Germany in 59-60, used to brag it would do 100, yep 100 KPH, down hill!!

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having shipped multiple items form Hawaii I can sum it up: transportation is high, Hawaii is very aware of MVs on public roads and has banned them for non-residents, port/ship regulations about leaks is high (and MVs love to leak), also rust. So best to window shop and buy state side unless it's something you absolutely must have.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have spent time in Oahu on a work projects and can tell you rust is a huge issue on the islands. I would be extremely cautious buying a vechicle from there. Absolutely beautiful place but like everywhere it has issues.

Mark
I was stationed there in the early 90s and bought a 1968 VW bus....

Well, it was a VW Bus shaped hunk of rust.... but it was only $250.00 and mostly ran....

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve had customers buy trucks in HI and ship them back over to the mainland, the cost wasn’t bad at all.
as far as truck’s conditions? Like anything, you have to rely on the pics….ive had many many from Yermo that were absolute rust buckets, you have to remember that most of these are USMC trucks that came off Naval bases and ships, DLA trucks are Army…but Army does occupy bases on Some islands.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks