• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV 4L80E Reman Transmission

Thumper580

Well, the local rebuilder/reman warehouse refuses to even try to source a remanufactured unit because I cannot supply a standard VIN they can cross reference to assure the exact model and internal specs of the replacement. They will look at the current trans if I bring it to them to open and inspect. Problem is I can't take it out myself and must pay a garage to do it, meaning I commit to the $2000 R&R estimate up front whether my trans can be rebuilt or not. If it can't be rebuilt, which is possible, I am left without any transmission.
@RWH, they did give a much better quote on rebuild (it's almost a 2 hour drive, I hadn't been looking that far away). Base rebuild there is $1400 plus cost of any internals that cannot be salvaged.

Eastern Surplus have low-mileage takeouts (so they say, but that was said about the salvage powertrain I bought and it was NOT true, but not from Eastern to be fair) for $995 plus $500 freight, with no warranty included or implied. (Or a fully rebuilt government surplus unit for $6750 plus freight.)

It doesn't seem worth doing. I don't have confidence this will work out well. I'd pull the transmission myself, but I'm not up to it and can't find anyone locally to help. Wife and kids couldn't care less.

I think it's time to cut my losses.

If anyone knows a reliable replacement source, I'll check it out, but Eastern's $1500 "maybe" isn't enough reassurance for me.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm whining, I made a significant $$$ investment in the truck 3 years ago and haven't seen the return or reliability I should.

Thanks for letting me vent a little.

BDGR
I'm in Mechanicsville VA.... There is no place in Fredericksburg that can do the rebuild?? WOW.. Might want to try down here in my area....

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: your comment on removal: do you mean you pulled the transmission by itself and left the transfer case in place? I was told I should pull them still attached to each other (while supporting the engine separately) by another SS member who has done several swaps. If there is a way to drop just the trans, I'm interested in hearing it.
I did mine by myself and I am an old weakling. No helpers.

Yes, I replaced the gearbox and tranny as one unit.

I did have the exhaust and fuel tank out already since they were junk and I replaced both. So I did have quite a bit of room to maneuver.

I had to also buy an engine lift, cherry picker, or whatever they call it just to lift the tranny gearbox combo on and off the jacks. Again, this is something I could have, should have rented instead.

I too also have a motorcycle jack but the problem is that is would not lift high enough to install it. So what I had to do was start to lift it up on one set of jacks, then use wood to get it higher on another set of jacks. So make sure you have some 2x4 and 4x4 wood blocks handy.

Like I said, if I would have rented a hydralic sissors tranny jack instead of buying a cheapy one, it would have been easier I think.

I understand about doing it in freezing conditions - that would suck. I had fingers freeze solid myself doing just simple jobs when I used to live up north. Myself, I had to wait until the Florida inferno was over in December as the heat would litterally kill me with my medical conditions. Maybe you can find a heated garage to rent for a couple weeks to do it?

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You make a strong case for me to put on my big boy pants come warmer weather FlameRed.
I don’t have to do anything right now. I found this out Labor Day weekend. I’ve proven I can wait, good or bad.
Thumper, I’ve been looking close to home, hoping I could find someone I could limp the truck to a not have to R&R myself. If I decide to undertake the swap myself, I have nearly all the equipment needed, then transport to a rebuilder who won’t try to fleece me becomes more feasible.
I don’t know where I might rent a garage, but I will look. I’d need a month to be safe. My biggest concern is getting stuck and needing a tool I didn’t bring!

I appreciate all your ideas and feedback very much.
Bulldogger

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know ahipping must be killer, but here in Dania Beach, FL, there is a transmission shop that i know has done HMMWV transmisions. The name is Goldcoast transmission, if you decide, talk to Vinnie and do your numbers.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm gearing up for this job later this month. Finding out who my friends are (ha!) as I ask around for assistance. (only kidding, sort of)
Can anyone comment on the proper balance point for the trans/t-case, i.e. where should I position the transmission jack under them as I unbolt them? I'll def. use the chains on the jack platform, but too far off center and I worry the whole shebang might tip over.
Since i have your attention, can anyone share experience on good ways to support the front of the engine as I unbolt the transmission from it? I've heard, and agree, that the engine needs supported or it will tip forward. I haven't thought hard about that yet. Random ideas are to use ratchet straps under it, or build a wood cradle (but that can't sit on the ground in case I have to jack the side of the truck up to get the trans/TC pack out from under it.
Thanks all,
BDGR

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm gearing up for this job later this month. Finding out who my friends are (ha!) as I ask around for assistance. (only kidding, sort of)
Can anyone comment on the proper balance point for the trans/t-case, i.e. where should I position the transmission jack under them as I unbolt them? I'll def. use the chains on the jack platform, but too far off center and I worry the whole shebang might tip over.
Since i have your attention, can anyone share experience on good ways to support the front of the engine as I unbolt the transmission from it? I've heard, and agree, that the engine needs supported or it will tip forward. I haven't thought hard about that yet. Random ideas are to use ratchet straps under it, or build a wood cradle (but that can't sit on the ground in case I have to jack the side of the truck up to get the trans/TC pack out from under it.
Thanks all,
BDGR
Your making it harder than it needs to be…
transmission Jack has a chain to keep the transmission on the Jack, the Jack also can only go on the oil pan.
For the engine, just use an additional Jack with some wood stacked on it and under the oil pan to keep it level.
The issue you will have is getting the transmission out from underneath truck once it’s down, you will need to raise the truck up from rear.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
transmission Jack has a chain to keep the transmission on the Jack, the Jack also can only go on the oil pan.
For the engine, just use an additional Jack with some wood stacked on it and under the oil pan to keep it level.
The issue you will have is getting the transmission out from underneath truck once it’s down, you will need to raise the truck up from rear.
Just to add my 2 cents, having done this twice in the last few months... Use a third jack with a block of wood on the transfer case. It helps get the right angle so the whole assembly mates up to the engine...

And for the tranmission jack, don't use the cheap mechanical tranny jack from Harbor Freight. It won't be able to lift this behemoth. Rent a low profile hydralic tranny jack, or buy the 2000 lb hydraulic tranny jack from HF - that one works great.

You can do it by yourself, but if you have a helper it is even better. And I am old and weak with tons of medical conditions.

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for this advice and info RWH. I was told by someone else to pull the trans and Tcase together. Is that also your practice?
For the engine, I have a motorcycle lift handy that I can put some big blocks of wood on. I think that would support the engine just fine.

Much appreciated.
BDGR

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to add my 2 cents, having done this twice in the last few months... Use a third jack with a block of wood on the transfer case. It helps get the right angle so the whole assembly mates up to the engine...

And for the tranmission jack, don't use the cheap mechanical tranny jack from Harbor Freight. It won't be able to lift this behemoth. Rent a low profile hydralic tranny jack, or buy the 2000 lb hydraulic tranny jack from HF - that one works great.

You can do it by yourself, but if you have a helper it is even better. And I am old and weak with tons of medical conditions.
I ponied up for the mid-range jack, it's hydraulic and claimed to be OK for 2000lb. I think that's the one you're referring to.

Also appreciate the tip for the TCase alignment trick. Besides the transmission jack I bought last month and the motorcycle jack, I have a bottle jack and a small floor jack. I think I have enough jacks. If not, I've a neighbor down the road, a retired Doctor, who has three floor jacks. He's my backup ;)

BDGR

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't need to support the engine. I made a bracket to support the engine and didn't need it at all. Pull the transmission and transfer as a unit. Overall it isn't a difficult job, just take your time.

I did a TH400 to 4L80 swap in mine ... here is where the write up starts https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/my-new-1992-m998-avenger.184818/post-2406802
You absolutely need to support the engine, especially when reinstalling the transmission…even the TM has a section with a jig that can be fabricated to keep is straight and level….

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for this advice and info RWH. I was told by someone else to pull the trans and Tcase together. Is that also your practice?
For the engine, I have a motorcycle lift handy that I can put some big blocks of wood on. I think that would support the engine just fine.

Much appreciated.
BDGR
its a two way street,,,it’s easier to install the transmission alone, but more of a PITA to install the Tcase and bolt it back up, the transmission Jack makes easy to install both as a unit.

springer1981

You absolutely need to support the engine, especially when reinstalling the transmission…even the TM has a section with a jig that can be fabricated to keep is straight and level….
I don't doubt you but I made a jig and mounted it and my engine didn't move 1/4" and the bracket did nothing at all. I ended up removing it and didn't have any issues at all. Just my personal experience, I have only ever worked on my truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks