• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Belt Issue

rcb

Greetings All:
While I ponder life waiting for my EUC to clear for my newest M998, I noticed in the videos
of my engine running the fan belts are bouncing all around ! I checked other M998 videos
and their belts are doing the same thing. Are these belts all loose or is this normal ?

Thanks...
Bob
Pittsburgh, PA.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the old school thoughts is that belts that are the same diameter running side by side should be "matched" meaning cut from the same cord side by side. Belts normally have the production cord they are made from and the position cut off stamped on them. Belts made by gates have red tape around sets to identify them as matched. Gates also makes Carquest, napa and a bunch of others. Best place to find them nowadays is a NAPA distribution center warehouse store as they will have inventory in depth. You will probably have to educate the counterman as I suspect most nowadays don't have a clue what matched set means. Napa stores can order them but I suspect most don't want to hassle.

The oe military belts by dayco are also matched sets in the boxes. They use string to tie together.

Use a tension gauge to check. They are not that expensive and worth the cost to make sure a belt is properly tensioned. Loose belts are just as bad as over tightened belts causing premature component wear.