• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV body has pos current

WAGNUM

Few months ago I started having problems shutting down my HMMWV. I'd kill the switch and count to 5 before it would die. Pulled IP fuel cutoff plunger, totally clean and smooth. Checked the wires, they work fine. It was acting like the power was slowing dissipating away hence having to count to 5 before the engine shuts down. Put a multimeter neg lead from 24v neg batt terminal, and pos lead on the body: Shows there is 3.0+ volts running throughout the body. Pull the pos batt wire off the terminal, current drops to 0. My assumption is I have a hot 24v wire that is rubbed through and is touching the aluminum body...but why 3 volts? Why not 24v? Any other ideas here? Figure I just need to check all wiring and grommets unless someone's got a better idea. THX, WAGS

NormB

One of the first things I did to my truck was remove and replace the steering column. Old style with ears/tabs and aluminum bits all broken, easier/cheaper/safer I thought just to replace it. What was behind it was a YUGE bundle of wiring harness which had come off the restraining clamps and the column had worn through the outer layers and into TWO thick red wires, just a bit. I carefully dissected it all, wrapped w/silicone tape layer by layer and reattached it to the firewall bracket adding a couple 1/4" zip ties for good measure before I buttoned everything up.

You might want to look there. (flashlight, uncomfortable angle to lower back and neck looking up there)

3 volts might be one of the feeds to a sensor or solenoid. Nothing else weird happening?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks