• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv driving fine then started vibrating or shaking violently? Help ?

Dsds1010

Hi I am new to the forum and would appreciate any help. My power steeeing pump has been whining for sometime .. I was driving it after a while and on my way home it just started shaking luckily I was almost home . And it sputtered into the drive way .. would could it be ? I put some fuel in it in the event it was low on gas and the meter was working correctly but tht wasn't it ..

Does power steering have anything to do with the shaking ?

It almost feels like it is miss firring when I accelerate at all . At a idel it sounds and feels perfectly fine .

Please help as I am new and could use some advise to ease my mind !!

Thank you

Dock Rocker

Have you checked and topped off the power steering fluid? That can cause the whine.

Have you checked your fluids?

Was the engine sputtering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum.

I recommend downloading the Technical Manuals if you haven't. They include troubleshooting guides besides maintenance descriptions and pictures.

It will help if you include a bit more information and some pictures if possible. There is a lot under a HMMWV hood that might be out of adjustment and cause vibration, and there are multiple variants of engine and transmission so we don't want to steer you to something that doesn't exist.

If you haven't done the preventive maintenance, you might start.

Here are the TMs: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?78861-TM-s-for-the-M998-series
There are a few others in that same forum subsection.

Bulldogger

NormB

Welcome to the forum.

I recommend downloading the Technical Manuals if you haven't. They include troubleshooting guides besides maintenance descriptions and pictures.

It will help if you include a bit more information and some pictures if possible. There is a lot under a HMMWV hood that might be out of adjustment and cause vibration, and there are multiple variants of engine and transmission so we don't want to steer you to something that doesn't exist.

If you haven't done the preventive maintenance, you might start.

Here are the TMs: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?78861-TM-s-for-the-M998-series
There are a few others in that same forum subsection.

Bulldogger
Lube order, lube order, lube order. And engine and transmission drain plugs are 20 ft-lbs. TRY looking that number up quickly. (that's rhetorical). You can buy Dexron 3 in giant economy size 5 gal buckets off Dr. Evil's amazon site, Rotella HD diesel 15W-40 from Maomart, Tractor Supply Co too for about $12 a gallon if you shop around.

You've come to the right place for help. Among the manuals are three "shop manuals" the first has boatloads of troubleshooting info geared towards 8th grade reading/comprehension level (it's military). [Not saying mechanics are "delayed" or anything of the kind.]

Welcome to the madness.

papakb

Violent shaking can be caused by a lot of different things but usually the power train isn't what causes it. As a new member to the HMMWV forum I'm guessing you may also be a new HMMWV owner. I'll reiterate downloading the manuals is something mandatory to understanding your truck. The other thing I'd like to stress is buy a good creeper and spend a lot of time OFTEN under your vehicle. Look at everything. Grab it and shake it, if it moves when it shouldn't, fix it. Better to do this in your driveway than by the side of the road. Check for stuff that's come loose all by itself. On one of my search and destroy missions under the truck I found the power steering pump had come loose without any human intervention. The only thing really keeping it in place was one bolt. Look for leaks, coolant, oil, trans fluid, steering fluid. Loose bolts on the U joints are common and can cause the vehicle to shake. The military says the more pain you have during training means the less pain you have in battle. Same holds true with these trucks. The more time you spend on them in the driveway the less time you'll spend on them by the side of the road!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks