• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Generator / Alternator substitute

majorhavoc67

Will any other alternators / generators work with the HMMWV's or are you forced to use the standard units specifically meant for them?

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can put anything you want in them, if you can find someone to make the brackets and stuff you need, or can do it yourself.

There are at least a few people selling a civilian 24V alternator kit to replace the OEM unit, all you really need to do is add a 24-12V converter if you have a 4 speed transmission.

majorhavoc67

You can put anything you want in them, if you can find someone to make the brackets and stuff you need, or can do it yourself.

There are at least a few people selling a civilian 24V alternator kit to replace the OEM unit, all you really need to do is add a 24-12V converter if you have a 4 speed transmission.
Thank you. I've been researching the prices of replacement stock ones and there are more than pricey. Trying to work up a ist of spare parts to have on hand once I finally get a HMMWV in the next few months.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
60 amp alternator the brushes and regulator are readily available and relatively inexpensive.

The dual voltage alternators rarely have issues with the unit itself; most of the time it's the external regulator that fails.

civilian alternator is going to be more readily available, but are still kind of expensive. Kind of a toss up which way to go if you have the 200 amp alternator because it's the most common, but 400 amp takes up that entire side of the engine bay (saw my first one today actually, and it's huge) so switching to anything else is usually an improvement.

Alternator would be somewhat lower on the list of spare parts to have, behind things like replacement CV boots for 10 or 12k halfshafts. 7k halfshafts aren't worth rebuilding.

glow plugs are common failure.

time delay module is common failure.

lots of other stuff like that that would be more likely to fail than the alternator unit.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just for future reference, you might want to include your model and what alternator you have in your truck when asking about parts replacements/upgrades, as all we can really do is give general advice (and it's not always useful for every truck, so sometimes it's dead wrong)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will any other alternators / generators work with the HMMWV's or are you forced to use the standard units specifically meant for them?
You should wait until you actually have a HMMWV before trying to re-invent the wheel, it is quite possible the HMMWV you actually buy will have a perfectly good working alt.
There will be enough things you have never thought of that will keep you plenty busy without playing the "what if" game.

Last edited:

majorhavoc67

just for future reference, you might want to include your model and what alternator you have in your truck when asking about parts replacements/upgrades, as all we can really do is give general advice (and it's not always useful for every truck, so sometimes it's dead wrong)
Thank you and I certainly will once I get a HMMWV. I owned an M998 in the past but wasn't able to hang onto it very long. I'm trying to do as much research I can prior to buying another one so I'm as prepared as possible. Hence the generic questions.

majorhavoc67

You should wait until you actually have a HMMWV before trying to re-invent the wheel, it is quite possible the HMMWV you actually buy will have a perfectly good working alt.
There will be enough things you have never thought of that will keep you plenty busy without playing the "what if" game.
I will certainly follow your advice. I'm not planning on replacing anything until needed. Just trying to figure out and research what options are available once something needs fixed or replaced.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks