• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Headlight Issue

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are correct, but from my research, you can use those because of the LED feature. A wide voltage range. If they blew, I can get that, but the light function worked perfectly, it was just the condensation inside. Makes no sense
LEDs are run by a power supply built into the housing, there certainly is no guarantee that the power supply is/was designed for multiple voltages.
Your clue was they fried as soon as you put 24V on them, the moisture which may very well not be water could have been released from the components as they smoked.
I assume there was no "condensation" until they smoked yes?

CapePrep

LEDs are run by a power supply built into the housing, there certainly is no guarantee that the power supply is/was designed for multiple voltages.
Your clue was they fried as soon as you put 24V on them, the moisture which may very well not be water could have been released from the components as they smoked.
I assume there was no "condensation" until they smoked yes?
As I said, the actual light part never stopped working. So, they never "smoked" per se. Both high and low beams were great. And you are correct, condensation after powering on. And the lights stayed on. After the first set had it happen, I went to the reviews and there were others that were running them on 12 volt that had same problem. And, many people with HMMWV suggest these. Over 4K reviews that were positive. To be clear, they never stopped working. I am confused.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve seen that problem with outdoor PoE cameras. Plug them in, as the inside warms up the lense fogs up. Getting the moisture out was a pain! Involved warming the glass and finding a dehumidification box.

CapePrep

Want to close the circle on this subject. Frustrating when people don't do that.
Returned 2 sets of these headlights
Contrary to a YT video of these working for HMMWV, 2 different sets did not for me! Buyer beware
After watching a YT video and zooming in on a guys rebuild suggestion(didn't provide a link!) I found these. In their description they rate them for 32 volts in one place and 16 volts in another. Just installed them, super easy, no fogging upon initial power up. Will take out tonight to see how they do. So far, happy. Even though they didn't include directions.....
I did not hook up the DRL, don't want it looking that "modern". May change my mind at some point.
I also saw an old video from William Welch/BlueOx tops fame. Contacted him and he recommended these. He has used them for quite a while as well as a friend of his.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F1PN3XK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A2SKR13976RDGZ&psc=1.
Do, if one wants to update their lighting, here is some real world information on what works and what doesn't. Carry on....

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Want to close the circle on this subject. Frustrating when people don't do that.
Returned 2 sets of these headlights
Contrary to a YT video of these working for HMMWV, 2 different sets did not for me! Buyer beware
After watching a YT video and zooming in on a guys rebuild suggestion(didn't provide a link!) I found these. In their description they rate them for 32 volts in one place and 16 volts in another. Just installed them, super easy, no fogging upon initial power up. Will take out tonight to see how they do. So far, happy. Even though they didn't include directions.....
I did not hook up the DRL, don't want it looking that "modern". May change my mind at some point.
I also saw an old video from William Welch/BlueOx tops fame. Contacted him and he recommended these. He has used them for quite a while as well as a friend of his.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F1PN3XK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A2SKR13976RDGZ&psc=1.
Do, if one wants to update their lighting, here is some real world information on what works and what doesn't. Carry on....
I used these lights or very similar for over a year. Overall they were ok. During a flood i had to go theough, one of my lights fogged (or both, i dont remember) and after a year or so the plastic started to turn yellow. I had the black lights so in order to see the yeallow you really had to look for it. Overall they were fine, but decided to go with Truck lights. While the teuck lights makes the truck look more original, the Amazon LED lights spread is better in low beam. Just my opinion.

Over

As Coug said, those Trucklites are plug and play. They are designed for the military HMMWV and used on the later model HMMWVs. One of the best bang-for-buck upgrades I made on my 1165.b
One of my Trucklites outputs so low on high, defective. It's been that way for years. So I bought adapters and some LED lights of Amazon that have a similar appearance. The military may have the money for Trucklites and maybe I would if I thought they were worth it. There just freakin headlights. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0796QHYSR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of my Trucklites outputs so low on high, defective. It's been that way for years. So I bought adapters and some LED lights of Amazon that have a similar appearance. The military may have the money for Trucklites and maybe I would if I thought they were worth it. There just freakin headlights. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0796QHYSR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Are they going to work on 24V?
The specs say 12V

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GTO hood tachs had a fogging problem. Cure was air line to HVAC system to blow air in.

Wonder if that will help cheap Red China headlights.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks