• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv Push Bumper Plans

Doodster

I have an '86 Hmmwv that I want put a push bumper on it. Its my daily driver and feel I need good strong bumper so I dont crack the fiberglass hood in a fender bender...plus it looks cool. However I cant afford the price of even a used one. I plan to make my own. I can get the basic dimensions off of pictures online but seeing if anyone has one they would be willing to take some measurements and possibly a picture of the underside of the bumper so I can see what the cross bracing looks, etc.

Thinking of use 1/4" thick 6" C channel structural steel. Already have some tube and diamond plate that I got free from the local welders scrap pile (I asked he said take whatever you want" With that I should be able to make it for about $250-$300.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

orgnal

I have an '86 Hmmwv that I want put a push bumper on it. Its my daily driver and feel I need good strong bumper so I dont crack the fiberglass hood in a fender bender...plus it looks cool. However I cant afford the price of even a used one. I plan to make my own. I can get the basic dimensions off of pictures online but seeing if anyone has one they would be willing to take some measurements and possibly a picture of the underside of the bumper so I can see what the cross bracing looks, etc.

Thinking of use 1/4" thick 6" C channel structural steel. Already have some tube and diamond plate that I got free from the local welders scrap pile (I asked he said take whatever you want" With that I should be able to make it for about $250-$300.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
That's a great idea!

McReddy

DLJIII

20170605_144256.jpg

This is what I did with my truck.
Same thought as you, such a flat face and open for immediate contact with a fury covered mammal.
I wanted one of the USMC style bumpers but, couldnt afford one.
So, I fabricated my own. Measured it down to keep the wheels exposed, deep enough to tilt the hood, bought some marine rubber dock bumpers for $6 each.
I used the original bumper on the lower section just by chance, I removed it held it up and liked it so it ended up welded in as part of the structure.
I used the original bolt holes, upgraded bolts to grade 8, ran a few one inch tubes from the frame to the front of the bumpers and done.
It was all left over material from other projects and jobs. It works like a charm and was dirt cheap compared to these poor guys that cant stop buying NOS.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks