• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Sealant

sbob4579

So I just noticed today that there was some sort of sealant or something chipping off on my HMMWV. Could anyone tell me what this sealant is and where I can get this sealant? Thanks! Here is a picture attached below.
File_000 (2).jpg

Wire Fox

I'm going to tune-in to this topic as well. My HMMWV has all of that same sealant chipped off, allowing water to pour in on top of my left foot. I was just going to fill the space with RTV, but if someone knows the right stuff, that's great!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's some of the atomic body panel glue that AM General's robots squirt on the panel edges before assembly. Who knows what it really is. Avoid silicone as that can mess up future paint jobs.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would welding the seam be a solution? I can see how it might be a problem if you wanted to remove a body panel. But, I bet 99 times of 100 you won't be removing those body panels. Best of all, I think a nice weld will actually be cleaner looking than the factory caulking. Just a thought...

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like 3m panel bonding adhesive I used to sell when I worked in parts. I also have some chunks that came loose when I pressure washed mine.

Wire Fox

It looks like 3m panel bonding adhesive I used to sell when I worked in parts. I also have some chunks that came loose when I pressure washed mine.
I think I could buy into that assessment. Although, the cost of that 2-part adhesive, the applicator, and the mixing tube tells me that it's just not worth it unless I was prepping up for a full-strip restoration. I think I'm going to temporarily use the RTV just to keep some excess water out of the cab and will peel it off later when I go to strip the paint.

Awol

I think I could buy into that assessment. Although, the cost of that 2-part adhesive, the applicator, and the mixing tube tells me that it's just not worth it unless I was prepping up for a full-strip restoration. I think I'm going to temporarily use the RTV just to keep some excess water out of the cab and will peel it off later when I go to strip the paint.
Just be careful, silicone is extremely difficult to completely remove. It's an extreme contaminate, and works itself into the metal. Most auto body shops don't allow any silicone products anywhere near cars that are being painted.

Wire Fox

Just be careful, silicone is extremely difficult to completely remove. It's an extreme contaminate, and works itself into the metal. Most auto body shops don't allow any silicone products anywhere near cars that are being painted.
Great to know! Haven't uncorked the tubeyet, so you may have saved me some trouble.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....I suspect they are some flavor of urethane.
Yes, PU-sealant/adhesive. No silicone at all; 1000 different uses and applications, at least...!

Search for SIKAFLEX 221, here on this site and you'll be surprised in how many threads it was mentioned...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks