• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Speedometer Shenanigans

jake20

Hey all, figured I’d share a fun one.

I recently installed a new cable driven 60MPH speedo into my truck. The old one turned into a helicopter although the odometer was still fine.

After I installed the new one, it seemed to be working intermittently for about 2 days, then it quit working altogether.

I went down the line and checked the cable, only to find the key twisted and sheared at the transfer case. Normally the part is $15 or so to replace, though my buddy @pawski decided to have a hold my beer moment.

We cleaned up the sheared pieces and he tig welded them back together. I threw it back on the truck and 50 miles later we’re still operational 😂

I don’t know the exact reason why it initially snapped, but I think it may have to do with torquing the cable connector going into the speedo a bit too much. I kept it on the loose side this time and it’s been perfect thus far.

If it snaps again I’ll get another key but I figured I’d share these 2am shenanigans hehe

Attachments

jake20

Welp it broke again after about 100 miles, was a fun little experiment if anything lol

Should have the new keys coming in soon, but I still suspect that the cable might have a little too much resistance. If it breaks another key then I’m tempted to just pick up one of those GPS speedometers rather than replacing the mechanical cable. They look pretty neat and modern.
Anyone have a chance to play with these? https://speedhut.com/gauge-applicat...e-gps-speedometer-100mph/?dd-link=0leeg5nbtbk

Attachments

mccullek

I’ve noticed my hmmwv speedometer is really jumpy at low speeds. Once I hit 30 mph or higher, it smooths out and works as expected. Wondering it this grease adapter might help that low speed jumping needle?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I’ve noticed my hmmwv speedometer is really jumpy at low speeds. Once I hit 30 mph or higher, it smooths out and works as expected. Wondering it this grease adapter might help that low speed jumping needle?
Grease on the cable that runs inside the sleeve will definitely help. Want to test that theory without spending any money? Disconnect the "high side" of the cable up at the speedometer and spray WD40 (or your favorite penetrating oil) into the cable and in a few minutes of run time - Presto! Problem temporarily solved...

mccullek

Grease on the cable that runs inside the sleeve will definitely help. Want to test that theory without spending any money? Disconnect the "high side" of the cable up at the speedometer and spray WD40 (or your favorite penetrating oil) into the cable and in a few minutes of run time - Presto! Problem temporarily solved...
Thanks for the tip. Will give that a try.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the olden days with cruise control, there was a transducer typically in the fire wall and 2 speedo cables. One from the speedo to transducer and the other transducer to trans. It was common for one of the cables to act up and that is one of the reasons the adapter was invented. Nowadays all that is done by fly by wire and electronic gizmos.

I looked and appears the adapter was discontinued.
Some on epay but here is a reference:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/115733131067?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28
GM would be the one you are looking for.

jake20

I second this, mine has the same effect. Good input from everyone here, shall give some of these things a try once my new keys come in.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Mullaney said pull the cable off of the speedo then pull the center of the cable out and grease it from tip to tip with bearing grease and carefully put it back in, helps to have 4 hands involved.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks