• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Holes from armored windshield?

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Assuming these are holes from previously installed armored windshields? The rivnuts open right down into the area behind the dash. Would y’all use some RTV and a bolt, or remove them and use and body plugs? Trying to keep water from running right behind the dash area when it rains. 01E9328F-8375-4F9F-833B-858C03137410.jpeg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the 4 of them right below the windshield?
there is supposed to be a bracket bolted on there to retain the bottom of the windshield gasket.
A little sealant and a bolt works fine.

Most of the water coming down on my feet is from around the start box plug

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the 4 of them right below the windshield?
there is supposed to be a bracket bolted on there to retain the bottom of the windshield gasket.
A little sealant and a bolt works fine.

Most of the water coming down on my feet is from around the start box plug
There is a metal bracket or receiver directly underneath the windshield gasket along the bottom of the windshield but these holes are out in front of that.

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it should look like this. You see that paint line on yours? Looks like something is missing and you can see the lower gasket for the windshield.View attachment 851214
Thank you! Definitely missing that lower retainer then. I couldn’t quite tell from the parts manual. Now if I can just figure out how to drill out all the stripped rivnuts for the upper and middle glass retainers, without having them all rattle around inside my windshield frame forever. Assuming you can just install slightly larger rivnuts for those?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As for getting the old ones out of the frame, the most efficient way is to remove the windshield assembly from the truck, drill all the rivnuts out, and then turn it upside down and shake it back and forth with the plugs behind the wiper pivots removed for them to fall out of.
Other than that, once they fall down the sides/center of the windshield,you don't really hear them rattle much with all the other noise.

Action

Assuming these are holes from previously installed armored windshields? The rivnuts open right down into the area behind the dash. Would y’all use some RTV and a bolt, or remove them and use and body plugs? Trying to keep water from running right behind the dash area when it rains. View attachment 851211
Here is the 10-24 rivnut that AMG used to use, 12446871-3. It is closed on the end and doesn't allow water to pass. Some vendors still have this in stock, others are now sending open ended rivnuts.
You can tighten loose rivnuts with a bolts, washers, and oversized nuts. You can look up online how to make your own tool. It basically hold the nutsert in place while you tighten the bolt. Or just put new ones in with the proper tool....
To get rid of old ones without drilling, just use a chisel and hit the flange towards the center. Work around then push thru the hole.
1637509522364.png

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the 10-24 rivnut that AMG used to use, 12446871-3. It is closed on the end and doesn't allow water to pass. Some vendors still have this in stock, others are now sending open ended rivnuts.
You can tighten loose rivnuts with a bolts, washers, and oversized nuts. You can look up online how to make your own tool. It basically hold the nutsert in place while you tighten the bolt. Or just put new ones in with the proper tool....
To get rid of old ones without drilling, just use a chisel and hit the flange towards the center. Work around then push thru the hole.
View attachment 851233
Great tips, thank you Action!

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 851233
#Action, is there a rivnut setting tool you prefer, or one that will cover most of the fastener sized on the HMMWV? After looking at mine, some were open ended, some were closed, and others were just stripped completely out, so I'm going to set all new, assuming I can find that size in stock somewhere. Thanks again for all your help with this one.

Action

#Action, is there a rivnut setting tool you prefer, or one that will cover most of the fastener sized on the HMMWV? After looking at mine, some were open ended, some were closed, and others were just stripped completely out, so I'm going to set all new, assuming I can find that size in stock somewhere. Thanks again for all your help with this one.
I have this. It is one of the best tools i have. They pop up around $100 once in a while. It will do 8 rivnut sizes and 4 rivet sizes.
d-100-mil-1
There is a more expensive version with right angle adapter. These are on govplanet a lot, too, sometimes under “kippertool”
.1637762109398.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks