• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Home 220v single phase -to- 220v 3-Phase conversion.....

Jayco36REQS

I just bought a ELAMS Tactical Command Center with High Speed Wheel Set.... The ELAMS comes with a 20KVW 3-phase generator, Two 36k BTU AC/Heat units, breaker box, 8 sets of lights for the interior, and many 110v outlets.

What I'd like to do it be able to power the ELAMS from my home under normal use and use the generator in the ELAMS to power the house in emergency power outages. My questions are:

1) Anyone have any manuals for the 20KVW generator?

2) Does anyone make a plug converter to switch from the military 100amp power plug -to- 220 50amp RV plug?

3) What is the best approach to convert House 220v Single Phase -to- 220v 3-phase to run the ELAMS AC's and outlets.

The AC/Heaters are 3-phase.... If I could convert them to single phase I'd do that.

I know I can just use 2 legs of the 3-phase, to run single phase 220v, and 1 leg for 110v. I'm just not sure on converting 220v single -to- 3-phase.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You can tap off the 2 legs but will only have 2/3 of the rated capacity. 20kva is prob around 15-17kw. Converting phase is expensive. Easiest way to convert phase either way is with a device that has a 3 phase motor on one side and a single phase gen head on the other side. You would have to have a separate setup like that to convert the other way. Probably easier to use your 3 phase setup to run the heater and AC then get a singl phase gen to run the household stuff.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A phase converter to handle two A/C units totalling 72,000 btus will be pricy. That is 6 tons. Looking at 20 run amps each. The 3 phase A/Cs cannot be economically changed to 1 ph.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can convert it easily with a large enough 3-phase motor. If you know the HP required say 10HP then you need a 20HP motor.

You use a capacitor and push button switch to start it and a lever switch to apply the running power and you have 3-phase coming off the motor. Farmers do it all the time and I built one for my Brother.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks