• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Homemade load test for 3 kw gen set

m139h2otruck

Did a makeshift load test on the 3 kw unit Sunday PM so I could set the gov. under a load per the manual. Used a 500 watt area lamp, 1500 watt box heater, and two Sears 6 hp (right!) vacuums. Ran the load meter up into the 105% gray zone (3150 watts or so), but the unit loved it. Exhaust just started to get a dull red glow, but checked carb adjustment, and any more fuel caused the engine to drop speed. Load recovery with both vacuum's starting together would drop the Hz bad, but it would take it no problem. I think these units could run 3500 to 3700 watts all day no problem. Dual exhaust sounds great, like a little aero engine.

Now if I could just get the correct wiring setup so we could hookup the house direct.

m139h2otruck

Also, installed a starter that I got used from Northwest Equipment via E-bay. Were listed as 2a042/4a084 starters, but if you reclocked it, it fits right in, no problem, and clears the exhaust with room to spare.

m139h2otruck

Kenny
Do you have any pictures of the slave port and mounting plate on your unit? TM is not clear, and Saturn shows something, but I want to get the original looking setup. Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can snap a few this afternoon. What I have is exactly correct so it will giude you in the right direction.

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also interested in the starter and any pictures of it. I have the 28 volt generator version to run my AN/GRC-142. It starts easy with the rope but the electric start would be better!

m139h2otruck

Recovry, thanks for the pictures. Just what I was looking for.
Still looking for some help in wiring set so I get "correct" 240/220 voltage output single phase.

Also did a similar test on the little 1.5 kw unit. Ran the two vacuums (guessed it had to be about 1.8-2 kw) for over 15 mins no problem. Son took the unit home to run oil furnace if they get caught in a power outage.

offroaddiesel

we are set up with a 20 kw diesel gen. plenty of power here. just wondering is this set up for your primary power or for back up. we used ours for about 15 years for our power sourse until the lines came to our area. steve

m139h2otruck

This would be for backup only, or construction site use. Gen sets appear to be "Y" type, which causes a problem for use @ 240 volts single phase setting.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am very glad to see people improvising their own load banks.

M139h20truck, can you say more about what the issue is when set to 240V single phase? Is it that the phases are not 180 degrees out, but 120deg or 240deg?

I too have the 28V genset with the 2-cyl. motor, mine's 1500W.

m139h2otruck

The two hot legs (on 240 volt single phase) appear to be out of phase, so I can't hook to the house. On 120 volt setting works great.

We also have a 28 volt unit, use to charge/boost 5 tons. Nearly new condition, got it at the Weare meet, only voltage reg. was NG and cost $125 for a used one from Saturn. Someone must have run unit at less than max rpm and cooked regulator.

Poccur

How can you tell if they are out of phase? Do you have an oscilloscope? Not trying to be flippant but most of the stuff in your house is single phase and won't care about the phases difference hot-to-hot so long as there is 120v phase to neutral.
If you plan to use it as an emergency unit then just remember not to use the tumble dryer during a blackout. What else is 240v? The oven? OK stick to the microwave during a blackout.
Can you expand a little on your requirements?

Cheers

Poccur :)

steelandcanvas

[quote="m139h2otruckNow if I could just get the correct wiring setup so we could hookup the house direct.[/quote]

:shock:

I've enjoyed following this thread, however I have not seen anyone mention the fact that when you hook up a standby genset to the house, by law and good sense you need to have a transfer switch in the system. This is required so you don't fry some utility lineman downstream somewhere trying to restore power.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks