• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hope all is well Dutchess County New York

Jimmybob223

Hey hope all is well. I’m a newbie I live in Dutchess County NY I have just bought a 2003 M1097A2 its in really good shape I does need a few things but the one thing im have a Problem with is getting it registered in New York State they say that the Vin number is not long enough. Any advice thank you

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum!
Hey hope all is well. I’m a newbie I live in Dutchess County NY I have just bought a 2003 M1097A2 its in really good shape I does need a few things but the one thing im have a Problem with is getting it registered in New York State they say that the Vin number is not long enough. Any advice thank you
Welcome to the forum!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the Outfit!

Time to Hit The Books and learn about your new-to-you machine.
There is one book - a driver's training guide linked below.

Then the Operator's Manual (also known as the dash ten)

And then there are the M998 Series books that are parts manuals and repair guides. Yes, you have a 1097, but the HMMWV has a series number and 998 will get you most of the "book learning" that you need. Link below:

---

Insurance... It seems to me that there are several active folks here who have MV's (Military Vehicles) registered in New York. You might have stumbled onto a person at your local DMV that just doesn't know about the short serial number problems. There are work-arounds. There are books in each DMV that explain how those government employees are supposed to do the job. With a good attitude on your part and being as politely as you can, ask for their help. You have already be there once and got told no. Now you need to go to another DMV and present your title and insurance paperwork for a tag - then BE QUIET. The less you talk the better. Let them figure it out. They will eventually get a more senior window clerk or a manager and let them work through it. There is a guide in every location that should help them solve their problem.

And... Welcome to the group!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another way to do it is to take the military registration number (which has letters and numbers in it), the four digit military type and the five digit serial number. Then pad with zeros in front of the military type as needed. Clerks are used to having letters in the VIN and it will be 17 characters, AND it's all explainable just as the 17 character civilian VIN's are.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you I will try that
REALLY IMPORTANT: The serial number that you have on the liability insurance that you buy needs to match the title paperwork. Padding with zero's though should be discovered by the DMV and not information that you give them. I couldn't find reference here but I am almost sure somebody here had a problem with the title and insurance not matching.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Add zeroes to the VIN. If your serial number is 123456, register it as 12345600000000000. You can also try 00000000000123456. You need 17 digits total.
This will be interesting, the problem I see right away is they are going to expect to see the same number on his proof of ownership (SF-97)

M1165A1

REALLY IMPORTANT: The serial number that you have on the liability insurance that you buy needs to match the title paperwork. Padding with zero's though should be discovered by the DMV and not information that you give them. I couldn't find reference here but I am almost sure somebody here had a problem with the title and insurance not matching.

My titles are 6 digits and it was progressive who added 11 zeroes to the VIN - they are fine with that. No issues on my end.

Pate

I recently had my registered in NY And had the same issue. I used a company called Wendy’s DMV in Nanuet and they got it pushed through and issued me plates. They are local to me, but may be worth the ride south if you want a NY title. They charge $100 service fee.

Jimmybob223

I recently had my registered in NY And had the same issue. I used a company called Wendy’s DMV in Nanuet and they got it pushed through and issued me plates. They are local to me, but may be worth the ride south if you want a NY title. They charge $100 service fee.
Thank you so much i would love to have it in NY. It’s the vin # that was a problem im Going to try a few DMV up here thanks again

Pate

Thank you so much i would love to have it in NY. It’s the vin # that was a problem im Going to try a few DMV up here thanks again
Same issue. They did the paperwork in their office and got right to the end when DMV flagged it. It came back with multiple VIN hits due to the shortened number. They made a quick call to Albany and I was out in less than 10 minutes.

thoner7

For any NYers who have had their truck inspected… did you have any trouble with the state smog tests? If the motor is exempted I’d imagine it would fail? Older trucks might be exempted from the testing due to age, but newer ones would need to pass , right?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks