• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How can I find the year of my M35?

Vondy

I'm new here like so many others. I just got a M35 from a private seller that did not come with a title. How can I find out what year it is? Most of the plates inside the cab are faded, I can still read the I.D. numbers but don't know where to search for the information? Any help would be great. Thanks

mckeeranger

I'm new here like so many others. I just got a M35 from a private seller that did not come with a title. How can I find out what year it is? Most of the plates inside the cab are faded, I can still read the I.D. numbers but don't know where to search for the information? Any help would be great. Thanks
If you can get the ID number and the registration number, go to the "2009 vin info" thread here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/33114-2009-vin-info-thread.html

Post the requested information and CARNAC should be able to help you out. Give him a couple of days to answer.

If he can get what you need, please consider a donation to the foundation listed in his sig line. Actually, consider it anyway.

And welcome!

Big CASE

also if you can still read the VIN# you can tell by it .
on mine it is the last 4 numbers .
look at the ID plate on the inside right of the deuce cab above the glove box .

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M35 didn't come about untill the early '50s. If it is a M35 it is very likely the frame number will be on the passenger side :wink:.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
If you can get the ID number and the registration number, go to the "2009 vin info" thread here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/33114-2009-vin-info-thread.html

Post the requested information and CARNAC should be able to help you out. Give him a couple of days to answer.

If he can get what you need, please consider a donation to the foundation listed in his sig line. Actually, consider it anyway.

And welcome!

As stated, post it to the thread list above and we'll see what we can find. Hope it is a Army truck since I don't have USAF or USN deuce data. Search and find the 2009 VIN INFO thread and read the very first post. A lot of info there for you to start with.

Also as stated, start with looking directly above the drivers side front tire on the frame for the serial number (VIN). If you don't see it, try the passenger side in the same place. Some of the older M35A1's were converted to A2's but retained the serial number on that side. If you can't find it there, go back to the drivers side and start scrapping away paint but have a mask and gloves on just in case it's CARC paint. You can read about the dangers of that by doing a search on this website.

There should be a registration number painted on one/both of the inside of the door(s). Or it might be painted on the dash or in the glove box. Should be in 2 or 3 inch stenciling and start of with an N.

Good luck.

det45

I'm also having a problem PROVING the year of my truck. I got the VIN off the frame, and posted it to the "2009 vin info" thread mentioned above. CARNAC did a great job getting the info, "1952 M35". I'm guessing that it is a REO based on the year.

I applied for and received the SF97.

I got all my paperwork together and went to the DMV for a VIN verification, Title, and Registration.

DMV said that the SF97 wasn't good enough to prove year, and said I need to go to the CHP for varification.

Went to the CHP, they inspected the truck and said that I needed official paperwork stating the date, SF97 was not good enough.

The truck was rebuilt and upgraded into a M35A2 in 1990, and they changed the data plate, so there is no date on the data plate.

I scraped the rust protection off the drivers side frame and some on the passengers side frame looking for the frame tempering date. My 67 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 has a date, but I could not find one on the 52 REO. I'm guessing that they didn't temper the frames in 1952.

CHP said manufacturers production records or DRMO letterhead. REO is out of business, and from what I've been told DRMO isn't too helpful with these issues.

I'd like to restore this truck for parade duty only, but I need to get a Title and Registration first. Any suggestions on how to prove the date?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not that I am going to argue about it, that doesn't do much good for anyone. If I stand to be corrected there's nothing wrong with that either.

I was going by what I've read before about the G-742 trucks coming about 1947. I, myself have seen firsthand a 1950 M35.
I did some more research and with the info I found I'm not sure which one of us is right. According to David Doyle in April 1949 the design was finalized and production was in full swing by 1950. So you could be right in that there could have been some production trucks that left the factory in late 1949. There certainly would have been some test models in 1949. David Doyle's book also says that the first cargo trucks were M34s.

hole

I'm also having a problem PROVING the year of my truck. I got the VIN off the frame, and posted it to the "2009 vin info" thread mentioned above. CARNAC did a great job getting the info, "1952 M35". I'm guessing that it is a REO based on the year.

I applied for and received the SF97.

I got all my paperwork together and went to the DMV for a VIN verification, Title, and Registration.

DMV said that the SF97 wasn't good enough to prove year, and said I need to go to the CHP for varification.

Went to the CHP, they inspected the truck and said that I needed official paperwork stating the date, SF97 was not good enough.

The truck was rebuilt and upgraded into a M35A2 in 1990, and they changed the data plate, so there is no date on the data plate.

I scraped the rust protection off the drivers side frame and some on the passengers side frame looking for the frame tempering date. My 67 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 has a date, but I could not find one on the 52 REO. I'm guessing that they didn't temper the frames in 1952.

CHP said manufacturers production records or DRMO letterhead. REO is out of business, and from what I've been told DRMO isn't too helpful with these issues.

I'd like to restore this truck for parade duty only, but I need to get a Title and Registration first. Any suggestions on how to prove the date?

Like you, mine is a 52 ( Studebaker though) The data plate had been re-stamped by the gov when they re-powered her at some point. Carnac & David Doyle both told me she was a 52. Carnac was able to with the re-stamped vin, and D Doyle by the Hood/ USA #. To date , no one has been able to find a stamped frame # on my old girl. I strongly advise you to take your paper work to a private DMV title service to get your truck registered, I did, and it was the best $50 I've ever spent. Pm me if you'ed like the services name & number that I ( and others) have used.

Vondy

CARNAC,

Here is all I got. Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Can get bumper numbers if it would help more.

Stenciled on doors and stamped on plate up and to the left of glove box 04L80170

Nothing on frame.

I purchased the truck from Global GSE in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Sorry for the lack of info. If you need more info I'll make some calls to see what I can get from GSE.

Vondy

As stated, post it to the thread list above and we'll see what we can find. Hope it is a Army truck since I don't have USAF or USN deuce data. Search and find the 2009 VIN INFO thread and read the very first post. A lot of info there for you to start with.

Also as stated, start with looking directly above the drivers side front tire on the frame for the serial number (VIN). If you don't see it, try the passenger side in the same place. Some of the older M35A1's were converted to A2's but retained the serial number on that side. If you can't find it there, go back to the drivers side and start scrapping away paint but have a mask and gloves on just in case it's CARC paint. You can read about the dangers of that by doing a search on this website.

There should be a registration number painted on one/both of the inside of the door(s). Or it might be painted on the dash or in the glove box. Should be in 2 or 3 inch stenciling and start of with an N.

Good luck.

CARNAC,

Here is all I got. Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Can get bumper numbers if it would help more.

Stenciled on doors and stamped on plate up and to the left of glove box 04L80170

Nothing on frame.

I purchased the truck from Global GSE in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Sorry for the lack of info. If you need more info I'll make some calls to see what I can get from GSE.

Sorry I dont think I'm replying the way i'm supposed to.

Last edited:
I have looked around the site on multiple forums and it mentions the "2009 vin info" forum... however, that page is no longer available and I am trying to get some information on a truck I recently purchased. If anyone can point me in the right direction or an updated forum post, it would be well appreciated.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have looked around the site on multiple forums and it mentions the "2009 vin info" forum... however, that page is no longer available and I am trying to get some information on a truck I recently purchased. If anyone can point me in the right direction or an updated forum post, it would be well appreciated.
Use search, term “historical” by author “carnac”. Only non winch trucks have entries.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks