• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you lube the Air Pack?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, remove the small plug on the back of the large cylinder and squirt some oil (pneumatic oil would be good) into the cylinder. It will lube it and when the air is exhausted some of the oil will be carried to the valves in the control section of the Airpak.
Keep your air supply cleen and dry.

Bjorn

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of airpacks, how difficult are they to rebuild Bjorn. I've got the article you did but is it a challenge? Can it be done in a couple of hours?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, you can do it in a couple of hours...if you do it right the first time, instlling the U-cup seals facing the right direction and don't have to look for some spring that flies across the garage when it's taken apart.
You may not need a rebuild package, just inspect the old parts, clean and reinstall.
The piston within the slave cylinder has a valve in it, which must be operational (it is part of the rebuild kit).
The long spring in the slave cylinder is easy to kink and may have to be replaced if it does get kinked (also part of the rebuild kit).
One TM shows the U-cup seal for the slave cylinder installed backwards. Remember how the parts come apart, reinstall the same way. The cup of the U-cup seals must face the high pressure side.
Use brake fluid to lube the parts when reassembling.

NOTE: I cut an opening in the tool box to gain access to the control valves of the Airpak without even taken the unit off the truck. Possible to check operation also.

Bjorn

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 2 extra air packs on parts trucks. I was toying with the idea of refreshing one up to keep on the shelf. The joy of deuces, especially when you have 2, is the interchageability of parts. I haven't checked yet but I'm sure the wrecker has DOT3 in it. It won't by the time the brakes work! That's also the way I sold the piggyback to OH idea to my wife. I assured her that by taking the second truck, I had a spare everything for the tractor!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks