• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you remove the Hydroboot mount square nut see picture

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

M1008 square nut. I cannot remove this tight 4 sided nut and I am out of ideas. A crecent wrench, deep socket (because of the non removable rod) and a punch have failed to do it. I need an idea so I can get it off and place the mount on the new boost. Thanks

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the hydro unit can spin in the plate, maybe put the plate in a vise and turn the hydro with a pipe wrench, instead of the nut? Might break it loose for you.

Dennis

Last edited:

gasser

M1028A1ShelterCarrier,
To be clear - are you rebuilding this one, or replacing the whole unit? I remember you mentioning in the past about getting just a seal kit.

I ask because every reman unit that you will buy from an autoparts store (that I have seen) will already have the backing plate on it. So there is no need to take off the retainer ring and the 'squared' nut. The reman units from Autozone & Advanced Auto have the backing plates. Heck, even getting one from the dealer ($650!) will have the backing plate. Here is a pick of the one that I got from AutoZone.

However, if for some odd reason that you are replacing it and the new unit didnot come with a backing plate, you can take it to a autoshop, from where they can use a air-punch and get it off for ya. I don't think it's really possible with just household based tools. I have an extra one that I can send you, but it would take a few days to get to you.

-graham
86 M1009

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

After all, I did not go with the seal kit. I got the rebuild from Kragen and I have to swap backing plates. The unit is notched for alignment so it wont turn inside the plate. I am gong to try hammer and punch again to get it off.

gasser

Yeah, i just looked it up for a K30 - that is weird that it doesn't come with the backing plate. I understand the internals of the k30 would make it different for the Blazer (K5), but I don't see why they couldn't include the backing plate .... oh well.

-graham