• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how do you run a front winch AND a hydraulic pump together?

dma251

I'm bouncing around the idea of getting a knuckle crane like cranetruck did for my M813.

How do I run my front winch AND the hydraulic pump off my pto? Do I have to convert my front winch to hydraulic drive?

Any specific cranes I should be looking for? What are the advantages of the HEMTT style telescoping versus the HIAB style that folds up?

dma251

So I would engage the pto, but keep the winch clutch in neutral up at the winch? When the pump was running the winch driveshaft would be turning?

Is it hard to mate pumps up to the pto? Will I need to change out my pto to do this?

Lots of questions.... Thanks for the help.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
dma251": So I would engage the pto, but keep the winch clutch in neutral up at the winch? When the pump was running the winch drive shaft would be turning?
No, all you need is a dual output PTO + lever&linkage. Both functions are independent. You can run a pump off the rear and having the front output in neutral position for as long as you want. And viceversa. Or even at the same time if you have eyes, ears and hands enough to attend everything that's happening or could happen...! :shock:
Is it hard to mate pumps up to the pto? Will I need to change out my pto to do this?
No, find the correct yokes for output and pump shaft and connect them via a propeller shaft.
Lots of questions.... Thanks for the help.
Hope it helps.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wrecker version of your truck has a rear winch, which is powered from the power divider, perhaps you can adopt the same set-up for your cargo.
Not sure how the rpm would be set for the hydraulic pump, though.

About advantages/disadvantages, the Grove crane is more compact hight-wise and is more like a regular crane found on the wreckers.
The HIAB style is like an arm extension of yourself, extremely flexible. On my truck, I can place cargo within a foot of the crane pedestal or 26 feet away and manuever loads with great precision. Lifting capacity is about the same. IMHO, the HIAB wins hands down (pun intended). :)

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
GT is right, get a 5t dump pto, this a duel fuction pto, this would be the easyest and cheapest, and safest, the pto on a dump is connected to the dump hyd.pump by a drive shaft

derby

You could also get the pto and pump off of an M812 A1 bridge truck.It will have alot of the parts you will need,tank,pump,dual out put pto,hoses,filter housing and even a rear hydraulic winch.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
dosent the m812a1 bridge truck hydraulics run off a transfer case pto

m139h2otruck

We have an M812A1, and the hydraulic system is powered off the same PTO gear box as the front winch (just like in the picture above). I also want to install a crane, and plan to use the pump setup on the truck as it was built for the power source. In the tech manual section is a manual for the bridge trucks in this series that is a good read if anyone is bored.