• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How important are MIL-SPEC gauges to you?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the second generation of MEP machines now seemingly winding down at the surplus level, and parts being needed for years to come... how important are ruggedized, mil-spec gauges to you? Will you/have you sought out OEM replacements, or are 'off the shelf' marine acceptable for use?

I am sure you all have seen it in your daily lives in the last year, with items not being available. I just wonder how difficult it will be to get 'the good stuff' in the future? I wonder if the average owner even cares?

Would love to hear from any/all MEP owners as to their thoughts.

rickf

I don't know about the latest units but the slightly older ones had gauges that were crap! they were inaccurate and for the most part did not work. The military has since the 70's always bought lowest bid and you get what you pay for. If I am replacing I am replacing with better gauges.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
With the second generation of MEP machines now seemingly winding down at the surplus level, and parts being needed for years to come... how important are ruggedized, mil-spec gauges to you? Will you/have you sought out OEM replacements, or are 'off the shelf' marine acceptable for use?

I am sure you all have seen it in your daily lives in the last year, with items not being available. I just wonder how difficult it will be to get 'the good stuff' in the future? I wonder if the average owner even cares?

I don't own a MEP or any of the other power generating hardware.
Mil-Spec gauges could definitely be useful in MV's though.

My only suggestion is Made in America as a requirement
And, for my money a mechanical gauge would be worth having.

cbisson

For engine gauges I would prefer original equipment but the Beede gauges seem to be crap so I gave up on OEM and replaced all 3 with direct fit Datcon gauges . (24v and match existing sending unit output range)

For the generator gauges I would still want to keep it original. They are hard to find and pricey when you do.

Ray70

One "Negative" thing I can say about many of the marine gages is that they are quite often set up for 12V operation and require a separate resistor board to allow them to be used in our 24V applications.
The boards are not too expensive, maybe $12 or so, but they are about 1/2" wide and 1 1/2" long and attach to the gage stud over the stud for the wire.
I am not comfortable , long term, having that board and wire hanging off the stud with all the vibration found in an 802.
The marine gages are cheap and easy to get, but may not be reliable long term....
I think I would pay a little more and go with something 24V, ruggedized would be even better!

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great topic,

One thing to remember though is, that quite a few Airframe Type 2 wires carry live High Voltages and are rated for either 300V or 600V.
You may want to keep this in mind when replacing any existing wiring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks