• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much can I tow ?

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi I am looking to find out how much a CCKW in good shape can tow. I have a triple axle trailer with brakes so stopping is not a prob. I only want to tow about 20 miles on nice flat road at a nice slow speed. Thanks Eddy

paulfarber

Saw your post on g503.com... how'd that go for you? hahahahaha

Some of those meatheads are good for a laugh, and that's about it. Sorry you had to suffer through the ramblings of Joel Gopan/WWIITRUCK/Ben Dover or whatever his alias of the week is. :cookoo:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I once flat towed a Burma Ford (10,000 lbs) with a Jimmy and 35 mph was about it, 15 mph up moderate hills. Had traffic backed up behind us for miles on a little 2 lane road. The poor 270 is no powerhouse.

emr

That is something U need to hook up and just use common sense, if the trailer slams U into a tree when u try to turn u went to far, u need to watch opinions on stuff like this, look at your truck, look at the trailer and the load, that will tell u alot right there, somepeople just can not see stuff like that, but it is important to learn it with tactical vehicles. and remember there is only one person to blame if something goes wrong, and 99 plus % of all problems are human error. some just cant handle that. Have U pulledyour wheels and looked at the brakes, and looked at all springs and conections that there are no cracks, or rust that can cause a stress, these are all things an opinion will just not help with, good luck,

paulfarber

I can also get you the skinny from the OFFICIAL GM HISTORIAN. The guy that WORKS at GM... THAT guy. :) Well, at least an article he wrote.

If you don't feel safe, then by all means err on the side of caution. but I have had over 2.5 tons in my CCKW (trip to the local dump and a scale receipt for paying the per ton fee) so I know what my CCKW will do.

On a flat hard surfaced road I would put a 10K trailer on it.. I would check the tongue weigh... but if the trailer had brakes, your loaded right and everything is tied down whats the big deal.. you are not in traffic and you are not going downhill. A few M35 guys have said they towed that.. search the forum.

When I cut up my CCKW dumper for parts (thats 10K+, with 10 flats tires) I used my cargo truck to pull it around... no problem... If you have any doubts about starting off, you have 6x6 and 6x6 LOW to get you moving.

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was going to try and tow the DUKW with a tow bar or tow the Mog or the M725 on the trailer with the CCKW and use the M35 to tow the DUKW. I just want to know what can tow what. I think the Bedford can tow any of them so can the M35 but wanted to know what the CCKW could tow. I use a buddys Dodge one ton dualy to tow the track on the trailer. It seems strange that a small truck like that can tow better than a 6X6. Eddy

paulfarber

Most (even the modern) tactical trucks are designed with 35-45 MPH off road speeds. At those speeds you really don't need a lot of HP (the hp required to double your speed is hp squared).

Brakes are the next weak spot. Again, the faster you go, the more braking ability you need.

Just think of it.. on hard surface roads a CCKW can carry 10,000lbs and tow 4,000.

Including the truck (12,000) that's 26,000lbs... you are in Class 'A' license range in most States, and even CDL in others.

I'm sure many CCKWs have seen much more weight than that.

If you keep your CCKW in shape I don't see a major issue with towing 5k, 10k... not without a modern brake controller to help with the slowing down part.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks