• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much generator do I need?

dav5

The Hardy Diesel generators look pretty good if you have a lot of multi-day outages on a regular basis, but cost twice as much as a comparable Generac (and that's not even counting the transfer switch). I've seen Generacs with over 4500 hours on them still running great (but then I've also helped replace some with under 100 hours on them that were falling apart from corrosion)

A 20kw Generac is $4500.
A Kubota powered 20kw is $10k or more, doesn't have any type of housing or sound attenuation, open frame.

Of the two If I knew I was going to be out of power regularly I'd go diesel. If it was an occasion outage of a few hours with a couple days outage every few years or so, then the diesel is massive overkill.
I checked with some of my neighbours regarding Generac valve adjustments. You were right on. None of them have ever had the valves checked let alone adjusted. They all use Generac certified people for their installation and maintenance. I tried to go on the Hardy diesel website and it is unavailable. I wonder if they are still in business?

impi

There is a generator sizing calculator on the Generac website under the resources section. That should help to give you an idea how much you need. You can get away with something smaller if you use a unit that does automatic load management. I power my whole house in South Florida with a MEP803 - that includes a 5ton and a 2ton AC unit. The 5 ton is equipped with an EasyStart unit to control the ramp up and prevent the AC from tripping the Generator. My setup cost me about 30% of what the guys wanted for an installed Generac even though I already had a 500 gallon in ground propane tank. I use manual transfer as it's really more of an issue of losing power for extended periods during hurricane season. I have a remote start on the unit and all the switching can be done in the garage if we are under lockdown.

NEIOWA

I would check the reviews for Generac before I bought one. Many of the local electricians around here won't install them because of their failure rate.
Generac's entire business model depends on huge spending on mass market advertising. Do you want to buy a generator or TV time?

Idiot that succeeded me as mayor of my small town, replaced the MEP004 I got from DOD surplus, with a POS residential Generac (because had a nifty app for his cell phone). The load is 2x 3hp 3ph pumps at our sewer lift station. The Generac is such a wimpy POS they sold him a TWENTY THREE (23) kw set in order to start a 3hp pump. Laughable if it wasn't so expensive. And stupid. The bonehead has now moved out of town thankfully.

Reactions: 98G
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks