• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much paint?

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
As I get ready to paint, does anybody have the numbers on how many gallons of paint I'll need to do the M35A2 and in what colors? For instance, 3 gallons of green, 1 black, etc...

Thanks for the help.

red devils dude

If you paint the whole truck body, axles, underside of bed etc your looking at 6 gallons of green
two of black(three if you paint the wheels) and two of brown but this depends on how many coats how thick etc

rdixiemiller

CARC is supposed to go one in one coat. It is not recommended to build too much, or you will have cracking issues. Too thick a coat is as bad as too thin. At the Marine depot in Albany Ga. the trucks get one good wet coat.

rdixiemiller

Are you reducing it too far? It is a really full bodied paint, best applied with a pressure feed gun. A siphon feed cup gun will take forever and produce lots of overspray (wasted paint)

m139h2otruck

M139 with 4,000 gal tank took 8+ gallons reduced 4:1+ hardener. Wheels not done yet. Major paint application done with airless gun using some sort of electrical system. Wouldn't suggest you do a car this way but it sure put a lot of paint on. Used Aervoe 24087.

rdixiemiller

That one was Red wasn't it? It takes a lot of red to cover well. Probably sprayed with an electrostatic gun. Charges the paint and it goes to the grounded metal like a magnet.The 4000 gallon tank would take a lot by itself.
For what it's worth, at MCLB Albany they told me that 2 gallons of resin, 1 gallon catalyst, 3/4 gallon water would do a deuce and a half with the current waterborne CARC. This is over a white 2K primer, a little less would be needed over a darker color.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
Ok, so I found the paint from SW. The guy is telling me I need to re-prime the whole truck. Is that how the military repaints them? I can see camo over desert tan put no primer? Who has repainted one with the one part CARC and did you re-prime the whole truck?

alphadeltaromeo

i like the color/pattern on my deuce...would like to stay with that i believe. while thinking about it...im going to be repairing rust spots here and there right...what should i use to cover the area prior to painting it again...rustoleum or an spray can of OD?

red devils dude

Re: RE: How much paint?

rdixiemiller said:
Are you reducing it too far? It is a really full bodied paint, best applied with a pressure feed gun. A siphon feed cup gun will take forever and produce lots of overspray (wasted paint)
I dont think I'm reducing too much about 4oz reducer per 20oz paint with a gravity feed gun.