• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How old is too old

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just got a truck and the tires have some checking not bad, but a normal tire this old would not be safe. When do you know its time ?when they still look good.
Good question.

Tires have a date code stamped on them. Build date, not an expiration date.
Seems like ten years is a magic mark somewhere in the DOT book?

The cracks you see are pure simple sun damage and old age. In a perfect world, you would shriek like a girl and run to the tire store for replacements. On the other hand, if you still have a lot of work to do to your truck - why would you spend the money now?

For safety, I really would replace the front tires for sure.
If things go bad and a tire pops on the front axle you might end up in a ditch. Or worse.

I would get everything else fixed first.
It won't be cheap, but dying can be a bad thing too.

3up

Good question.

Tires have a date code stamped on them. Build date, not an expiration date.
Seems like ten years is a magic mark somewhere in the DOT book?

The cracks you see are pure simple sun damage and old age. In a perfect world, you would shriek like a girl and run to the tire store for replacements. On the other hand, if you still have a lot of work to do to your truck - why would you spend the money now?

For safety, I really would replace the front tires for sure.
If things go bad and a tire pops on the front axle you might end up in a ditch. Or worse.

I would get everything else fixed first.
It won't be cheap, but dying can be a bad thing too.
Ok thank you. On these auction sites do they give you a build date?

3up

I emailed one of the venders on here for a price. Trying to see what finger to sell for them, maybe the pinky left hand, was thinking kidney and get all 6 but what if i need it later. Is there a place semi local to southern Nevada to drive and pick them up?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
write to
Simp5782 and juanprado and NDT and others that have much knowledge about military tires.
Or do your searches here in SS.
I just maintained new tires on the front.
There is very much written about this old or checking tires here in SS but I can not find it.
Anybody have good links?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Michelin 14.00’s are notorious for blowing out. If I were in your situation, especially if I had a heavy expandovan, I would switch over to Goodyear MVT 395s already mounted on FMTV wheels. Feltz Tire is a good source for these. Two pallets of 3 tires each will run you around $350 shipping if you pick up at the terminal.

3up

The Michelin 14.00’s are notorious for blowing out. If I were in your situation, especially if I had a heavy expandovan, I would switch over to Goodyear MVT 395s already mounted on FMTV wheels. Feltz Tire is a good source for these. Two pallets of 3 tires each will run you around $350 shipping if you pick up at the terminal.
Ok thank you

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I second the recommendation to switch to 395's. MVTs if running primarily on road, XZLs if not.

I'm not as enthusiastic about replacing steer tires as opposed to replacing all tires. I've had multiple blowouts at speed. The steer tire blowouts weren't the worse of them. None of them were loss-of-control bad.

3up

I second the recommendation to switch to 395's. MVTs if running primarily on road, XZLs if not.

I'm not as enthusiastic about replacing steer tires as opposed to replacing all tires. I've had multiple blowouts at speed. The steer tire blowouts weren't the worse of them. None of them were loss-of-control bad.
Ok , this will become our home moving about every two weeks working our way to lands end in South America. Most driving will be dirt sand and rocks. im in no hurry 50/55 is ok with us, we stay off the interstates and toll roads our off road speed is about 30 mph on graded roads. I like the XZLs for the lug size and the ground clearance they provide.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok , this will become our home moving about every two weeks working our way to lands end in South America. Most driving will be dirt sand and rocks. im in no hurry 50/55 is ok with us, we stay off the interstates and toll roads our off road speed is about 30 mph on graded roads. I like the XZLs for the lug size and the ground clearance they provide.
For that kind of "riding the roads" I think replacing all six tires will make you a whole lot happier as you go on your adventures. If you have a blowout, you will need: wheel chocks, cribbing material, a 20 ton hydraulic jack, a really good battery powered 3/4 impact wrench (or a one inch), and the appropriate wheel socket, a four foot tire bar (crow bar would work). AND don't forget the all important spare tire.

If you have never changed a tire on one of these trucks I would like to encourage you to change a front and a back. See how you feel afterward.

Then, If it is really hot - or if it is raining like the world is ending - or if your spare went flat and you didn't know it -- You will be a really happy guy when you DON'T have to change a tire on the side of the road. But you need the practice... Before you need it.

Not trying to get you to spend money you shouldn't have to immediately spend. Not trying to scare you off either.
On the other hand, if that road trip is really your plan - I think new tires need to be near the top of your list.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For that kind of "riding the roads" I think replacing all six tires will make you a whole lot happier as you go on your adventures. If you have a blowout, you will need: wheel chocks, cribbing material, a 20 ton hydraulic jack, a really good battery powered 3/4 impact wrench (or a one inch), and the appropriate wheel socket, a four foot tire bar (crow bar would work). AND don't forget the all important spare tire.

If you have never changed a tire on one of these trucks I would like to encourage you to change a front and a back. See how you feel afterward.

Then, If it is really hot - or if it is raining like the world is ending - or if your spare went flat and you didn't know it -- You will be a really happy guy when you DON'T have to change a tire on the side of the road. But you need the practice... Before you need it.

Not trying to get you to spend money you shouldn't have to immediately spend. Not trying to scare you off either.
On the other hand, if that road trip is really your plan - I think new tires need to be near the top of your list.
I'd replace all 6 with 395 XZLs. And carry two jacks and cribbing as you wont get enough travel from just one.

And a breaker bar and cheater pipe as you can't trust anything else to break them loose. By all means, carry the electric impact to spin them once you've broken them loose, and to put them back once the new one is on.

JMHO

HDN

Based on the pictures, I don't think the tires look terrible, at least not as bad as my 27-year-old 14.5R20 XLs! If I were driving local roads with destinations less than an hour away, I'd consider replacing the steers now and do the rest later. But for your type of long trip I'd replace everything with new or almost new tires.

I just got pre-loved 395/85R20 tires from CSM Army Tires that were made around 2008, whereas the one you have a picture of was made in 2011. Mine are in better shape than yours in that they show very little or no dry cracking, but I think part of that comes down to the environment the tires were used in and how the vehicles and tires were stored.

3up

Thanks for your input. In looking for 7 new or newer ones now prices vary fro $675 to $300 depending on where it is. Where do you guys get yours on the west coast??

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simp5872. He’ll find you the best shipping rates unless you find room on a Steel Soldiers Express.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter

98G & Simp5872 give advice that is well worth heeding...I don’t know anyone else who has had more blowouts, tire troubles, and other vehicle issues while driving former military trucks.

And I don’t mean to downplay advice/experience of NDT and other well-respected members of the site, I guess I just have more first-hand knowledge of the trials & tribulations of 98G & Simp5872 than anyone else....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks