• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How tall are your lift blocks?

JonMolander

Getting ready to build my A2 bobber over turkey day weekend. I have almost everything I need. Still need to purchase some hardware including u-bolts, some steel stock for lift blocks, and bolts for my MRAP wheel adapters.

So how much height do I need between the M105 springs and my rear axle to match the front? Subsequently, what length u-bolts should will I need and who has them? Thanks.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm sure it was a joke, his truck is modified too, just differently. I haven't bobbed any deuces so I don't have a good answer for you. If memory serves, some bolted/welded the m105 frame to the bottom of the deuce frame. That should give you some idear of what gap you'll have to make up.

JonMolander

Thanks, gimpy. I heard someone else mention this tonight and wasn't sure what they meant. I was just planning on drilling new holes for the 105 spring hangers. So what you're saying is others cut the whole section of 105 frame that the springs are mounted to and just stick it right up under the deuce frame? Hadn't thought of that.

Jerry was mentioning you on Sunday when he got back to Dayton in his 932. Guess you guys had a good time down at the Vet parade.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes, though it is controversial. I can't say which way I would go if I were to do it. Please post what you end up doing, I have often thought of doing a "bobber" just never have the time or money.

He was probably laughing at me since I was running of 5ish cyls. My #5 injector line is leaking enough to not always fire that injector. I have some parts that I picked up at the Ga rally and will be putting those on with a new set of injector lines soon.

JonMolander

Good luck to ya.

Jerry was showing me his fuel rail mod in his 932. Looked pretty slick. He was buttoning that up saturday night to make sure it was ready for the trip to Cincy sunday. Guess he was happy with the results.

Jeepsinker

I'm sorry Joe. Not trying to bust your balls too bad. I just still hate to see a nice deuce get chopped down. They have such awesome capability with all six tires, and I know a bobber is easier to handle and park, and everyone has their own likes and dislikes and all that.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe it is 4". Steve6x6x6 used them on his A3. He spaced the hangers if memory serves. He did not use blocks. Basically you can measure from the grease fitting to the bottom of the frame. Using your front spring hangers as a refrence. If you want to trow all of the stock rear suspension away I'm in I like that stuff!

JonMolander

I'm sorry Joe. Not trying to bust your balls too bad. I just still hate to see a nice deuce get chopped down. They have such awesome capability with all six tires, and I know a bobber is easier to handle and park, and everyone has their own likes and dislikes and all that.
I hear ya. I love both. I also have a stock 1970 that I'm restoring to Vietnam vintage. It will be a tribute truck for parades and shows. I understand there are die hard fans on both sides of this hobby. You'd probably really like my resto. My mom painted my tailgate by hand for me. Check this out!

IMAG2074.jpg

JonMolander

Fellow member mikew created this website that has some good "How To's"

www.xm381.com

This has been an outstanding source. I've read every detail of this site over the last year in preparation for this build, but I only saw a photo of the lift block material stock and the u-bolts. I don't think he talked about what sizes they were. And I'm sure it varies a little depending on what you want to do with each truck.

But yeah, thanks for sharing. This site should be well known for anyone looking to do a bob job. I'd also recommend the works of Hanksdeuce.

JonMolander

I stumbled upon Dayton Capscrew this morning. They had the 1"-8 hardware I needed for my MRAP wheel adapters for a staggering deal. Half the price of Fastenal and Grainger. Then they referred me to a local machine shop two doors down, Fries Machine & Tool, for custom u-bolts. Outstanding customer service. He's going to have my order ready the middle of next week. Plus, he's also making me a rivet drill-centering tool inspired by the xm381 site. Can't wait to get this project started over thanksgiving break. I should be able to make huge progress. I'll probably go back to Fries Machine to have my driveshaft lengthened once I get measurements.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This has been an outstanding source. I've read every detail of this site over the last year in preparation for this build, but I only saw a photo of the lift block material stock and the u-bolts. I don't think he talked about what sizes they were. And I'm sure it varies a little depending on what you want to do with each truck.

But yeah, thanks for sharing. This site should be well known for anyone looking to do a bob job. I'd also recommend the works of Hanksdeuce.
Under the "Spring Debate" folder he lists the block size as 4"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks