• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to figure road speed.

Jones

Got an engine that'll govern out around 2,800 RPM, top gear is one to one and the axle ratio is 6.44(?) Tires are 53" tall. Is there a simple formula I can use to get a ballpark idea of my top speed in the baby HEMTT when I get it on the road?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
(2,800)(60)/(381)(6.44)(1)=68.5MPH

revs/mile=(5280)(12)/(53)(3.14)=381

Your gear ratio for the standard Rockwell axles is 6.72, which would give you a top speed of 65.6 mph.

The revs/mile can be found along with other info from tire spec sheets and may be dependent on air pressure tire design etc.

Also, check max speed rating for your particular tire, off-road tires are not rated very high.

Hoping this helps,

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
98HDs link needs to be moved to the tec. section so it is not lost

Jones

Hey thanks guys. Am trying to figure out, when the baby HEMTT is operational, if I'll be able to keep up with traffic or if I'll have built the world's fastest roadblock.

Jones

Yeah, thought about that. And while I appreciate Bjorn's admonishment about considering max tire speed rating I think my pucker factor will increase exponentially, so as to render the tire rating a non-consideration. I'll be the one doing 42 mph and screaming like a woman.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks