• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to lube f/e axle u-joints on M35A2

pmcs

I have a '71 M35A2 and I'm wondering how to lube its front axle u-joints. I see that it has rubbers around the inside of its front axle and some plugs in the balls of it, but I don't know how if its joints need grease. I've looked over the 20 manual and I probably missed something (1,200 something pages), but I didn't see how to lube, so I could use some help!:unsure:

PMCS

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess you have to know what axles you have. There were install Timken ball and seat type that need grease packed around it. Then the up grade sealed U joint type that there is no way grease packed into the knuckle will ever make it into the little needle bearings that are in a X type U joint. You might have to do some Surgery there doctor. If you know nothing about the axle being serviced then it's time. Ball and seat type we remove both the plugs from the axle knuckle one in front and one on the back side. Pump grease in till some shows up at the other hole. Problem is we can push so much grease you can push on the rubber boot. Best to open it up if you have ball and seat pack with you hands around the joint and stay out of the water plus keep rubber boots in good shape.

Last edited:

pmcs

Guess you have to know what axles you have. There were install Timken ball and seat type that need grease packed around it. Then the up grade sealed U joint type that there is no way grease packed into the knuckle will ever make it into the little needle bearings that are in a X type U joint. You might have to do some Surgery there doctor. If you know nothing about the axle being serviced then it's time. Ball and seat type we remove both the plugs from the axle knuckle one in front and one on the back side. Pump grease in till some shows up at the other hole. Problem is we can push so much grease you can push on the rubber boot. Best to open it up if you have ball and seat pack with you hands around the joint and stay out of the water plus keep rubber boots in good shape.
Thanks very much Floridainson, this is very useful info! There is some grease coming out from one of the boots and from what you've written, I'm guessing that the ball and seat type. I've seen the plugs on the balls, but wasn't sure what to do with them. It will be a while before I could take to time to take that all apart, so I'll try adding some more grease. Is this an early type of CV joint, rather that an u-joint? As I wrote before, I had looked for some service info for this and couldn't find it, so you're info was especially handy! It would be good to know more about servicing these boots and the rest of its parts. I'm in the process of trying to find some lockout hubs for the front it, so I'm hoping that will cut down on the wear and tear of that front end!

Thanks again,

PMCS

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks