• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to replace windshield washer pump switch?

erasedhammer

Finally decided to tackle the electrical problem with the windshield washer pump switch.

The pump itself works when I manually ground the pink wire.
I can ground the pink wire near the pump, or near the switch (on the column) and the pump functions.

When I test continuity with a volt meter from the pink wire (pump side of the circuit) across to a ground point, and operate the twist stalk switch, I do get continuity.
So the switch appears to function slightly, but despite the continuity when operating the switch, the pump does not run.
I think it is a similar problem to when my brake light switch didn't work. That showed continuity, but was never able to illuminate the bulbs.
I suppose these old switches start to fail, and just wont work under load despite the switch still technically working.

So my question is, how do I rip out the old stalk and put in a new one? Is there a section in the TMs somewhere?
I do not enjoy steering column work, but it looks like this is the only way Ill have the washer pump back. Looks like the steering wheel needs to get pulled off, hopefully the whole column doesn't need to come off.

INFChief

Finally decided to tackle the electrical problem with the windshield washer pump switch.

I can ground the pink wire near the pump, or near the switch (on the column) and the pump functions.

When I test continuity with a volt meter from the pink wire (pump side of the circuit) across to a ground point, and operate the twist stalk switch, I do get continuity.
So the switch appears to function slightly, but despite the continuity when operating the switch, the pump does not run.
I think it is a similar problem to when my brake light switch didn't work. That showed continuity, but was never able to illuminate the bulbs.
I suppose these old switches start to fail, and just wont work under load despite the switch still technically working.

So my question is, how do I rip out the old stalk and put in a new one? Is there a section in the TMs somewhere?
I do not enjoy steering column work, but it looks like this is the only way Ill have the washer pump back. Looks like the steering wheel needs to get pulled off, hopefully the whole column doesn't need to come off.
It would be the same for any mid 80’s GM truck. But before you submit yourself to that bastion of pain, do a thorough inspection of the circuit up through the steering column chase. And be sure ALL grounds are clean & tight.

GM blessed us with some crappy combinations / multi-function switches. I wonder if your controller under the steering wheel needs a good cleaning? You would have to pull the steering wheel anyway.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter

You may want to try replacing the wiper motor/pump with a OEM remanufactured one first. They have a lifetime warranty, cost about $70.00 and may solve that very common problem of your washer pump not working. Make sure you order for a 1984 model year - they have the washer pump built in to the unit. It solved my problems and It kept me from tearing the steering column apart. I hear it could be a nightmare to tackle.

Barrman

It is easier to swap in a column with a good wiper switch in my opinion than changing that switch. Check everything else twice as already suggested.

cucvrus

You can replace that switch in the column. My last few times of having a column apart have been a great success. The key was to remove the entire column and place it on a flat dry surface and work on it. do NOT follow you tube where they tear into it and I never seen them put it back together. There are places that cannot be accessed and serviced with the column in place. Let alone you bending over trying to reach things that can't be reached. I thought of starting a column rebuilding service but don't think it would pay because someone will just bypass or modify the existing system and column like everything else. Good Luck. But changing the wiper motor for a rebuilt is good, sound advise.

erasedhammer

You can replace that switch in the column. My last few times of having a column apart have been a great success. The key was to remove the entire column and place it on a flat dry surface and work on it. do NOT follow you tube where they tear into it and I never seen them put it back together. There are places that cannot be accessed and serviced with the column in place. Let alone you bending over trying to reach things that can't be reached. I thought of starting a column rebuilding service but don't think it would pay because someone will just bypass or modify the existing system and column like everything else. Good Luck. But changing the wiper motor for a rebuilt is good, sound advise.
Is the blinker/washer/wiper switch assembly able to be dissasembled if I pull the steering wheel with the column still in the truck?

INFChief

Is the blinker/washer/wiper switch assembly able to be dissasembled if I pull the steering wheel with the column still in the truck?
Theres 2 switches at play here. The multi-function switch in the “stalk” works in conjunction with the plate switch under the steering wheel. The plate switch assembly under the steering wheel controls the turn signal & turn signal cancellation, the horn, and the hi-line beam (on some models).

The wiper / washer control circuit routes from the combination / multi-function stalk down the steering column to a a small control box or a junction (depending on vehicle & model).

The video I posted deals with the MFS stalk - which if the contacts in the stalk get worn will not fully complete the circuit.

Instead of removing the old stalk simply unplug the old unit and plug your unit it to see if that solved your problem. Then if the new stalk fixed your problems you can remove the old one properly. It would save you from going through all of that disassembly if it turned out your stalk was good.

You seem pretty handy with the VOM so maybe you can test out the old one before buying a new one.

cucvrus

That video is useless for a CUCV. Do as you wish. I have attempted several times to disassemble a CUCV steering column in place. Trust me on this. It is 100 times easier and more rewarding after reassembling to have the column on a work bench and clean as you go. There is a lot of crud and I found several parts that will prevent or make things very difficult to service in the truck. Unless you like standing on your head and reaching blindly into a concealed sharp jagged metal area and work with no visibility and light. The plastic wire conceal cover is the first thing that comes to mind as being bolted in place and having many wires run thru it. I will follow up or you can review my post in CUCVRUS repair projects and Decade Wrecked M1009. I rebuilt columns and posted pictures in these threads. Proceed with caution and be careful it can be done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks