• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to use my Winch?

jwaller

I know this may seem like old school to many of you but I would like to hear the procedure for using the winch on my deuce. keep in mind this will not be a 2 person operation and I dont not know what all the levers and such are for other than I know the lever in the cab is my PTO.

now please advise on what range I should use, when to use the clutch and general operation of said winch.

many thanks to all of you who respond and I look forward to trying this stuff out.

rmgill

The clutch on the truck itself (the one you drive with) engages and disengages the transmission/transfer box and thus the PTO, so you can use that to ease into the pull.

The clutch on the winch itself (side to side lever) engages and disengages the winch when not under load from the winch drive shaft. Don't use this for disengaging or engaging under load, it's just a very basic dog type clutch.

The Lever on the floor engages the winch PTO to the transmission and controls the speed range over and above what the engine puts out with the throttle (use the hand throttle).

If you want, you can run the winch cable out (release the clutch on the winch and pull the lock pin out thats on the side (this just keeps the winch from unspooling while driving around) and pull it down your driveway a good distance to say a log or your kid's wagon with some sand in it and re-engage the clutch on the winch so it's connected to the winch driveshaft. Then crank the truck up, engage the low range takeup winch setting on the floor of the cab, set for a very low idle and leave the truck in neutral. The winch drive shaft will then be running up slowly enough that you can get out and take a look at how it's handling and even play with the controls. Better to have a second person there but the low range on the winch is pretty slow with an idling engine.

My truck doesn't seem to mind me taking the winch clutch in and out with just the load of the cable but you have to do the engagement/disengagement smartly. Flub it and you can break the teeth. If you do it under load, you will break the teeth on the dogs.

mangus580

Hate to sound, shall we say Sour.... But you really SHOULD read the TM's on your truck. It really would make sense to read the INSTRUCTIONS for your truck :)

jwaller

mangus580 said:
Hate to sound, shall we say Sour.... But you really SHOULD read the TM's on your truck. It really would make sense to read the INSTRUCTIONS for your truck :)
thanks for the advise, but I only have so much time in my day. I have read/scanned all 80 some pages in the deuce section and all 16 or so pages of info on the hotrodding section and looked thru many of the TM's and stuff from Bjorn. A simple answer would suffice.

jwaller

rmgill said:
The clutch on the truck itself (the one you drive with) engages and disengages the transmission/transfer box and thus the PTO, so you can use that to ease into the pull.
thanks for the info, just what I needed.

The PTO is just a simple on/off lever, there is no high/low to it is that right?
and when winching.

The only thing that confused me was the "Low range takeup winch setting". could you explain a bit further?

The last person to use this winch(bought it used and just finished the install) felt the need to jam the turnbuckle into the cross bolt, so does the lever on the winch go left or right to go in and out? I dont wanna make a bad situation worse by pulling it in any further.

M1075

A simple answer is that any winching operation is dangerous and I would highly recommend being well versed in the operation of your equipment. The manuals will help you tremendously. I promise!

jwaller

M1075 said:
A simple answer is that any winching operation is dangerous and I would highly recommend being well versed in the operation of your equipment. The manuals will help you tremendously. I promise!
yup winching is very dangerous as I have several electric winches on my trail buggy and other toys, I'd never get close to one in a pull and never ever get anywhere near the cable as it is the weakest link in the deuce setup.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
jwaller,

WELCOME! AND WOW! Nice stuff on both web pages. And I barely had time to just peruse a few of the things on both. YOU apparently really DO like trucks.

So you will fit in pretty well here.

Again, welcome. Keep up the good work.

jim

jwaller

wallew said:
jwaller,

WELCOME! AND WOW! Nice stuff on both web pages. And I barely had time to just peruse a few of the things on both. YOU apparently really DO like trucks.

So you will fit in pretty well here.

Again, welcome. Keep up the good work.

jim
thanks so much. I do love trucks(many different type, but all of them turbo'd) and have so many I cant count them all. Best of all this is my 3rd deuce, the first 2 I bought and sold for $$$ and now this ones for keeps.

rmgill

jwaller said:
rmgill said:
thanks for the info, just what I needed.

The PTO is just a simple on/off lever, there is no high/low to it is that right?
and when winching.

The only thing that confused me was the "Low range takeup winch setting". could you explain a bit further?
Reverse (power out) has one speed, take up has 2 speeds, low and high. There should be a notation on the data plate on the floor of the truck. Forwards from the latched position is low and then high iirc. Back from the latched position is reverse low.

Just remember, Under load, the engaging and disengaging method is with the clutch on the truck's driveline (engine to transmission) and with the lever on the floor of the truck.

jwaller

Thanks again, I still have to recieve the data plate and install it, thats the only part of the conversion I haven't done yet.

rmgill

Ok, that makes more sense. Yeah, the lever on the floor has 2 ranges for take up and let off. Set it up in the front of your house and drag things up the driveway to see how it works. Just be very very careful taking the cable up on the drum the last few feet, you want to avoid bending the top plate which apparently happens a lot.

Also, don't use just anything for the sheer pin in the drive shaft to the winch. Failure to do so can result in drive line components or worse, a winch broken that'll cut your cab (and you) in half if it parts near the load.

nickd

be careful, refer to the 10 series (operators) manual prior to using your winch. You will do more damage to your truck if you do not perform the PM on the filters, fluids, grease, axle boots, bearings and brakes since these trucks usually sit for some time before we get them back on the road

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks