• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Howling noise on full throttle

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all,

New member from the Portland, OR area!

Just picked up my LMTV today!!! I have been wanting one of these for a while. I just made the drive from Puyallup, WA to the Portland, OR area.

The truck makes a strange howling noise under heavy throttle, and quiets up when I lift. Below is a link to a google drive video. I am curious if this is a normal sound on these guys?

Also, anyone in the Portland area interested in meeting up with our trucks somewhere?

0217F143-046C-4907-B473-DB8E94D12304.jpeg4D76D5A8-4E4D-4611-BEF4-6CDAE82128F5.jpeg

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the suggestions guys, really appreciate it! I will go over it with a fine tooth comb first thing in the morning and report back.

Ronmar

If you don’t find anything put a boost gauge on it and see at what pressure it starts. Then you can remove the intake and exhaust line at the turbo and cap the turbo ports, then pressurize the system so you can look for it without engine/driving noises…

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys were spot on!! It was a boost leak!
First I tested the diaphragm. I set bench top air compressor to 40psi and then blew air into the wastegate hose as indicated in the attached picture.

14E469CC-1D0E-4A13-8EE3-A404D2568B34.jpeg

Then I gently applied pressure and the wastegate moved smooth, and I heard no air escaping.

Then I went through every intake clamp one by one first loosening and re-tightening. What do you know, the one on the drivers side intercooler was loose!! Tightened that joker up and, sure enough, that was the culprit!!

Thanks again for the suggestions!

I did have a strange thing happen when I started the truck up. There is a switch on the dashboard that says warmup, and so for the heck of it I hit it and the engine brake light turned on. Well then when I wanted to drive the truck and see if the howling was gone, I couldn’t hear the turbo at all and the engine wasn’t making any power. I got about a 1/4 mile from the house and decided to turn back because it just didn’t seem right. Well I looked at the PAC brake and it was still physically actuated. So I guess I was driving with the engine brake on…. I tried to manually retract the pac brake but It felt pretty seized shut. After letting the truck cool off I was eventually able to manually open the pac brake, and so I just disconnected it’s solenoid until I could figure out that’s going on with it.

Anyways I fired the truck back up and it drove around like a dream, boosting big time, no howling.

Ronmar

Yep, the ex brake backpressure is a nice load to warmup the engine at idle. I have an old propane bottle on a pole I put in the exhaust pipe on my A0 to add back pressure for warmup. The pac-brake is supposed to disengage as soon as you step on the throttle though…

coachgeo

Yes, green Coleman propane can fits the ex pipe nicely:) I have seen reference in a few mil vehicle pubs, to a cold weather exhaust restrictor used to warm up the engine. Have never found the actual kit/device or it’s specific publication though…
how long is the stuff it in stick you made up? assume only foot or less?

coachgeo

The pole is about 7’(old fiberglass antenna). The pressure generated is considerable. You can barely get the bottom of the canister to set in the ex pipe opening against the flow. The pole rests on the ground against a brick. I have a pic I can put up later…
what... no potato in the exhaust .... ejects right when the temp gets about right lol..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks