• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hub flip info needed.

Bad-Karma

I've seached all the info i can on the site and one question(for me anyway)remains unanswered-do you swap the bearings and races or are they the same? I'm just trying to get all the info i can before i get started.I've been checking out the site and you all seem like a great bunch and a alot of help to each other. Thanks for suffering the fool of the new guy!

Bad-Karma

I probabaly did'nt phrase my question right(sorry)are the inner and outer bearings and races the same size?or do you have to swap them around with the hub?

Bad-Karma

Thanks for the info,the project starts in the morning!I'll see if i can get some pics of this thing loaded this weekend.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bad Karma,
I'll give you a tip given to me by one of our other members who is a diesel mechanic and works for a transportation company and I've taken to calling him 'The Deuce Doctor'. RandyLBarnes showed me a trick when it came to buttoning it all back up.

When you get to the point where you've flipped the hubs and are about to put the axle shaft/hub front back in place and are tightening the axle nut, tighten it down really hard. THIS will seat the bearing properly. THEN loosen the nut and retighten it so that is hand tight. THEN one quarter turn past that.

AND DON'T LOSE the small cork piece that goes in the keyway. It keeps the axle end from leaking. After flipping my hubs, the first one I did I MIGHT not have tightened the axle nut tight enough. Or I may have NOT put the little cork piece back in properly. The result is that the first hub I flipped is currently leaking a small amount of oil.

THE UP SIDE is that I've now taken apart FOUR hubs and flipped them all. ONLY one of them is leaking slightly. So I now know how to do it correctly.

IF you have any questions or problems, email me and I'll help if I can.

And it's REALLY no big deal, honest. EVERYTHING is just way larger. And you need to inspect the seals and bearings as they come out and as you put them back in to make sure they are in good shape. I didn't replace my seals, as it wasn't necessary. I did replace the hub gaskets, but they were way cheap at less than $2 each from Saturn.

And BJORN wrote an EXCELLENT technical article WITH PICTURES that gave me the fortitude to tackle this task. While at first it seemed impossible, it really is pretty simple. And I've been working on cars, trucks and bikes for thirty five years.

Good luck.

jim

Bad-Karma

Wallew,thanks for the info it will help ease the confusion.I'm lucky that i only have to flip two hubs(bobed M109A2)I've owned and worked on M-37s for twenty years,but have never had anything in the 2 1/2 ton series. I took this truck in on a trade for a '51 M-37 and really don't have the reference material to fall back on like i do for the 3/4ton. The 3/4ton's have diff. size inner/outer bearings that's what had me thinkin' a little backwards. Thanks again,Jon.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need t clear this up a little bit. The inner and outer bearings are different. Going from memory one is a 3994 and the other a 392. The outer dimensions are the same its only the center bore that is different. The bearing races are the same. The net effect of this is if you want to keep the same bearing with the same race, you will need to swap races from side to side in each hub. Since the races are the exact same, you can opt to just filp the hub. The inner bearing (larger bore) will still be the inner bearing but it will be riding in the former outer race. As Bjorn said, he did this and had no problems. I've done it too without problems. Bearing mnufacturers reccomend that the bearing and race remain a pair.

Bad-Karma

So far pretty straight forward,one problem is that the inner bearing and seal don't want to come off the spindle. Am i just being too gentle with it or am i missing something? The bearing is not seized to the spindle it just does'nt want to come off,any suggestions?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CAREFULLY tap with a 4 oz hammer and a nylon punch. BE REALLY REALLY CAREFUL to not damage them. They should literally slide off.

Hopefully they have not 'welded' themselves to spindle due to really old grease/oil. I have seen that happen in OTHER trucks. Maybe you could use some mineral oil or WD40 sprayed onto the spindle where it's locking up. I don't normally use WD40 for ANYTHING but a cleaning solvent, for which it works quite well. I use PROLONG as a lubricant on items that need to be sprayed to lube. Door hinges come to mind.

My bearings literally slid right off with no pressure applied. And they looked brand new.

Good luck.

jim

Bad-Karma

Well the bobed deuce is now sitting on four wheels all in line! Thanks to all for the help! Will try to post some pics,computers ar not my strong subject.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks