• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Huey, UH1M

Guyfang

Staff member
I knew a guy in contracting, we called Mr. M-113. He had a whole garage FULL of M-113 parts and TM's. When I stopped Contracting. I took my son to work and he spent two 8 hour days just burning TM's, while I returned parts. A CWO friend of mine walked in, and said, "Nope. It didn't get out of hand here. Not at all." and walked out laughing his butt off. So I understand perfectly well.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A small update on the gunship. BLKHMMWV and I got the tail rotor on today, looks good and looks REALLY good while everything is rotating! Sorry, no pics or videos of that, Craig took aa video, but I can't figure out how to send it to my phone or e-mail, file too large.....

I did a bit more sanding on the nose to try and bring out the last image on the co-pilot side nose and the pilots side.

Here is a pic of the pilots side. "Ready AND Forward", Bison standing on a twisted black and yellow rope. This belongs to the 10th Air Cav which is a descendant of the 10th Buffalo Soldiers. The tenth was part of the 7th Inf light at Fort Ord.

View attachment 902702

The other insignia I have not figured out. It is a triangle over a circle. The triangle sides are lightning bolts, the circle has lightning bolts and there is a snake in the center of the triangle as well as a motto under the triangle that I could only recover a few letters from. I believe the letters are, OCHA D or O DE. Cannot make out what is before the O or ater the E. If anyone has a clue, please enlighten me!

View attachment 902705View attachment 902704View attachment 902704View attachment 902703

And here is a sketch of what I see....don't make fun of the snake, I'm a diesel mechanic, not a Picasso!
FOUND IT!!!! Well, not me, but another volunteer at the Museum. He was a tanker, M60s then M1 and A1.
307th Attack Helicopter Battalion! Now that I see the patch, I can see the wings on the artwork on the nose!

A307CAB1-2.png

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, here is another update on the HU1-M. Over the past month or so, it has been VERY hot and humid here. A coat was put down on itbut the heat and humidity weren't good for painting. The parts that were painted off the air frame came out good. Some of the volunteers gave the not so good paint a good sanding and we waited.

This last Monday, things were good for a squirt!

The Huey has a final coat of....I forget the number, but I will get it....green paint. Some stencils have been laid on it. We have not done the nose yet as we are deciding what to do with the nose art, sand it to TRY and make it pop, mask, paint around it, OR, copy it, spray the nose and re apply. Don't know yet. Either way, it will be flat or SG black.

As for the main rotors, MY plan is to get up on a platform, grind/flap wheel the ugly parts, bondo the ugly areas, and paint flat or SG black and re apply the yellow to the ends. We'll see, not my parade, there are other things in the works.

We did mock up a fake BBL for the 40mm. Sombody that is a friend of the Museum has the chute feed cover that goes on the ball, need fo locate that.

We do have the stencils for the tail numbers and "ARMY" markings.

First couple of pics were early in the AM, overcast. The last ones were when the giant nuclear reaction in the sky decided to show itself.

The project in the pipeline will be posted in the 5t section. ;)painted.jpgpainted 1.jpgpainted 2.jpgpainted 4.jpgpainted 5.jpgpainted 3.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks