• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hummer/Hummer H1 are based on HMMWV platform, so how about a new forum/sub-forum dedicated to the 11,000 Hummers

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mechanically, Hummer and Hummer H1 are the descendents of and are identical to the HMMWV, so why not create a sub-forum for those of us who own both Hummer‘s and HMMWV‘s? Why not create a sub forum here on Steel Soldiers dedicated to the unique problems of the civilian Hummers. I am specifically referring to Hummers that are based on the HMMWV configuration and not H2 and H3 vehicles.

Electronics might be different, however 6.5 L Detroit diesel powertrains and 4L80E transmission and transfer cases and front and rear differentials are pretty much identical.

2006 units have Duramax engines, however there are those on the HMMWV forum like Mogman who have performed Duramax and Cummins swaps so even those would be welcome.

I know of owners who are also swapping their frames for new ECV frames on older civilian Hummers to get reinforced frames that are galvanized. Everything just swaps right in.

I’m happy to moderate this forum, and honestly I think it might be long overdue. We HUMMER owners would like to join our HMMWV brothers.

IMG_1169.jpeg
Me at work last week. Needs a bath BUT still amazing.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's posts from time to time in the CUCV forum for Chevy and GMC pickups. We allow them since they're of the same family. Same goes with the civilian Hummers. And there's FAR more Chevy/GMC pickups out there than Hummers. What about simply updating the title of the hot rod HMMWV sub forum to also lump in civilian hummers as well. And vice versa, adding civilian parts to a HMMWV.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's posts from time to time in the CUCV forum for Chevy and GMC pickups. We allow them since they're of the same family. Same goes with the civilian Hummers. And there's FAR more Chevy/GMC pickups out there than Hummers. What about simply updating the title of the hot rod HMMWV sub forum to also lump in civilian hummers as well. And vice versa, adding civilian parts to a HMMWV.
While I kind of see what you’re saying… these vehicles have a special history unlike Chevys.

While Chevys were converted to military use, Hummers were a military vehicle converted to civilian use, initially by Schwarzenegger. Only analogous thing might be initial Willys Jeeps.

And rather than being hot rodded, these have particular construction issues based on that special GM/AMG history. This isn’t like Mogman custom installing a Duramax. This is a cool truck with yearly updates that deserves special recognition IMHO.

I’d really like to see a separate Hummer dedicated sub-forum

I think a separate forum is deserved.

I’m really happy you’re looking into this.

Guyfang

Staff member
This is my two cents.

This is the second sentence to the General rules:
Welcome to SteelSoldiers.Com. We strive to keep this the most comprehensive, current, and cutting-edge military vehicles forum on the web.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is my two cents.

This is the second sentence to the General rules:
Welcome to SteelSoldiers.Com. We strive to keep this the most comprehensive, current, and cutting-edge military vehicles forum on the web.
Hummers are military vehicles! In every sense!

My M1165 actually uses the civilian version HMC4 roof as even AMG and GM recognized the two units as interchangeable. You can actually see the civilian hand-hold mounting brackets on the military unit.

So absolutely these vehicles belong HERE in their own sub forum.

We also have a Chaplains Corner, a gossip general column, munitions forum that is not about vehicles, and alternative fuels that would never be used by the military.

Please reconsider based on the fact that Steel Soldiers is more than what you have put forward.

Last edited:

HUMMER H1

Hummers are military vehicles! In every sense!

My M1165 actually uses the civilian version HMC4 roof as even AMG and GM recognized the two units as interchangeable. You can actually see the civilian hand-hold mounting brackets on the military unit.

So absolutely these vehicles belong HERE in their own sub forum.

We also have a Chaplains Corner, a gossip general column, munitions forum that is not about vehicles, and alternative fuels that would never be used by the military.

Please reconsider based on the fact that Steel Soldiers is more than what you have put forward.
Indeed M1165 uses civilian roof HMC4,

how about 2002 2003 model K series H1? That’s half humvee half H1 basically
That’s used by border patrol

92/93 H1 is 90% humvee

and all 4 speed humvee used civilian transmission 😁

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Humvee.net is a group that includes both
Thanks for that.

Given Steel Soldiers is a major repository of information regarding all things mechanical, like transmissions and 6.5 engines and all things HMMWV, I think having a civilian Hummer presence here on Steel Soldiers is terrific.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks