• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hummer rims and tires on Craig's List

AK_M1028

I was just researching H2 wheels for my M1028 yesterday.

Those look like aftermarket wheels, not true H2 wheels. He said that the hub was too small for his Dodge 2500, so I'm pretty sure they'd be too small for your m1008. Not a bad price for billet wheels, it may be worth it if you can get a machine shop to enlarge the hub opening economically.

FWIW, stock H2 wheels are 17" x 8.5" with 5.5" backspacing. They would fit over the hubs, but with the deep backspacing they could rub, especially with wider tires.

aboonski

Thanks for the quick reply! I have a lot of 8-lug rims off of other vehicles, which appear to be wider than the stock M1008 rims. I guess I would run into the same problem with them as well. One set that I have is from a Dodge pickup with, supposedly the same bolt pattern as the CUCV. I also have a set of 8 lug rims that came off of a school bus according to the guy who sold me my truck. I am hoping other members have tried these types of rims on their trucks so that I can find out what would work and what wouldn't.

AK_M1028

Wider isn't necessarily bad either, just watch the backspacing. Stock backspacing is somewhere around 4", any more than that and you'll have to look for interference. I don't know what the "magic" number is for max backspacing before a wheel interfers. Many older Dodge, Ford, and Chevy/GMC trucks have the 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern that will work on our trucks. The new trucks (not sure about the model years) went to a hub centric wheel and thus the smaller opening that won't fit our trucks. Also, as the wheel size increases you may reduce the interference. I know on my 1/2 Chevy truck (10 bolt front diff) with 18" wheels there is no problems with interference.

86M10086.2L

I have had 2006 Dodge HD wheels on my truck, and although they bolt up and fit. The bcakspacing is too great and they rub the drag link/tie rod. Also I think it was 4Wheeler that did an article about a year or so ago about putting H2 wheels on a budget older chevy project truck. The jist of the article was that they bought the wheels off EBAY for some radiculous no reserve price (@25 bucks if I remember correctly) and found out that the hub on the H2 rims was too small. Ended up having to have the hub machined out to fit. In the end they said the cost of machining along with the purchase price was about the same as if you bought some real cheap steel/aluminum aftermarket rims. They might of had tires too but don't recall. It still worked in there favor but not as much as originally hoped.