• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hummvee tires/lift kits, 880 Dodge

MatthewH

I had thought of that, but it sits pretty high as it is, and i use the truck for my welding buisness, so i didn't want the truck way up in the air. Also, there is a suprising amount of room in the fenders, and honestly, i don't do much hardcore offroading, so i feel it will work alright.

wildbilly1760

That makes an awesome welding truck. What kind of welder do you have in it. Maybe show some pics of your set up. I am a welder at a coal company. Always wanted to go out on my own, and start a small business. bill

ironbulance

I would like to put hummvee tires on my newly aquired M887. I know that you need a 2" spacer to clear the tie rods, but not sure about the suspension lift. I have heard that an add a leaf will clear them, but also heard they will rub when the wheel is fully locked. What size lift do i need to clear brand new 37" tires without them rubbing the fenders at all?

Thanks in advance
MatthewH
I did a 4" lift still had to trim front fenders just a bit near bottom cuz when I got the body twisting off road it was hitting in a few places, I have 37"humvee tires on it with a set of aftermarket 10 " wide rims awesome traction

MatthewH

I did a 4" lift still had to trim front fenders just a bit near bottom cuz when I got the body twisting off road it was hitting in a few places, I have 37"humvee tires on it with a set of aftermarket 10 " wide rims awesome traction

I guess i forgot to post an update, with pics, that it is possible to mount 37" tires without a lift kit and only minor fender trimming. However, i did have to change to a later model year steering setup. Guess i'll have to get on that.

ironbulance

ya I did a power steering upgrade, I went to local junkyard and found a donor truck and got everything def needed with these big tires:jumpin:

rangernut0901180

Will the HMMWV wheels fit on an 88 Ford F250 4x4 8lug I have a set of Michelin XL's on it now (WITH NO LIFT) but I am having Issues locating a Replacement set of the XL's

Milt51

I guess i forgot to post an update, with pics, that it is possible to mount 37" tires without a lift kit and only minor fender trimming. However, i did have to change to a later model year steering setup. Guess i'll have to get on that.

A little more specific on the later steering setup?

MatthewH

For power steering, you'll need to find a W series dodge truck, up to '93 with a 318ci motor. You'll need the pump and any brackets associated, lines, gearbox, drag link, and the steering shaft/column. If you notice earlier in the post, i made a shaft so i could use the newer box with the older column, otherwise you'll have to use the newer column, or an aftermarket steering shaft.

Blythewoodjoe

I have found this thread to be very helpful. I purchased a set of wagon wheels last week that I had planned to use on my M886. After putting them on just to see what they look like, I am having second thoughts. My brother thought they looked too big and I tend to agree. We use the truck for camping and playing and I guess lifting it will make it harder to use. I'm not sure what I want to do. Anyway here are a few pictures. I might just put the wheel in the classified. I know if I get rid of them I will regret it. You can't go wrong with big tires. I got 4 good wheels and one is burned. I don't think it got very hot but it messed the paint up pretty good. I don't mind trimming the fenders a little but the drag link is the problem. Any more threads out there with other options?

Joe

Attachments