• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee education on 998 platform

dbalogh

Hello all ,

I wanted to know about the 998 Humvee. The platform enables it to be converted to a pickup troop transport 2 door and also a configuration for four seats and a four door. Is this correct?? Am I missing something?? Also has anyone done this?? From a two door to four door same Humvee platform. Just want to understand. Thanks Den

erasedhammer

Yes that is mostly correct, a humvee isn't readily convertible between the two like a convertible roof on production cars. Going from 2 door to 4 door requires buying mostly all new parts. They designed it that way to make it easier to produce 2 door and 4 door. Cause if the body and the parts are mostly all the same then it makes life easier for the military and AM General.
I haven't done a 2 door to 4 door conversion myself, but I have done a helmet top to 4 door soft top before, so I can't really comment on the differences of parts between the 2 door and 4 door configurations.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Den,

Welcome to the madness.

Yes, These trucks are totally configurable. Think of it as a lego set. Parts can be bolted on or removed to make it a 2 door, 4 door, hard top, slant back etc. The base truck and tub is all the same for all the models that are not armored for configuration purposes. Many folks have done changes as 4 door seems to be the most popular configuration now.

I went from a 2man pick up to a 4 door for example.

Wire Fox

The fundamentals of it are stupid simple. Assuming you're using an A0/original setup, a conversion from 4 to 2 would look something like this: remove soft top, remove soft top "hand rails", remove C-pillar, remove 3-point seat belt (if installed), remove doors and hinges, remove seat back (but retain for setup in a moment...), install 2-man hand rail, install 2-man soft top, install rear door filler panels, install seat back face-down to cover footwell. If you want an impromptu 4-man setup from a 2-man, you remove the face-down seat back, remove the filler pannel, reinstall the seat back upright as a seat, and ideally install at least a 2-point seat belt. The full install would be everything I listed first...but backward.

dbalogh

Most impressive. I'm trying to gather information before I buy a Humvee. This is all good to know. I really contemplating weather to get a four or two door any suggestions. Also weather to bid on one at ironplanet or buy something that has a title and has been refurbished a little. I'm looking at one for a summer ride. I also think its interesting to have a piece of history. Both grandfathers in WW2 and many friends in present conflicts in the middle east. For me I wanted to be a combat pilot. Life didn't go that way. Any advice on which way to buy? its always good to hear.

Wire Fox

4-doors almost all cost more, but the condition of the tops and doors is almost universally junk. Look at the price history in your area...if 4-door units are going for $2000 or more, just buy a better-condition 2 door unit and buy a BRAND NEW 4-door kit from Breton (they make the official US Gov't Issue soft tops) for something like $2000 delivered, all doors, all hardware, all brand-new. I'd like to recommend buying something private sale to anyone even a little bit feighnt of heart on the matter. Private sale prices have finally come down out of space and it looks like you can get one in running condition, ready to drive away for as low as $10,000. With an auction that might close for $6-7k, you have to wire your money within 3 days, fill out a chunk of paperwork, wait 1-2 months, arrange a transporter or prepare yourself to transport, break your schedule to go pick up your HMMWV on the only day or two of the week they'll allow a pick-up in an 8-day window...and only THEN do you start working on the HMMWV to get it up to operating condition, which could be a couple hundred dollars or several thousand dollars. Oh, and the dance of paperwork once you get it home to attempt to actually put the vehicle to use as a farm truck or an OHV... It's a lot of work with a lot of risk. Private sale cuts a lot of that out.

EDIT: Spelling. It's Breton, not Brenton...

Last edited:

dbalogh

Thanks wire fox. That makes a lot of sense I really think I may go that route. Does Brenton have a web site available. Also I have talked to a couple fellas already on the site. What should I look for when buying a Humvee from a private seller. Again thanks for all the great information.

dbalogh

another question that comes to mind. How many miles can you get out of the diesel engine. I know my dads Macs use to get hundreds of thousands, whats your thoughts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks