• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee Leaking Hub?

gestut

There should be a small black plastic tube (like 1/8" dia.) coming off the top of the hub, headed for the engine bay and ultimately to the air cleaner housing. It tends to get brittle, and can be plugged, cracked, or both. Check it like any other bit of tubing; disconnect and give a blow or suck on it, should feel air move to some degree. When in doubt, replace it (all around).

BDGR
Hi. I just did that and i can blow but it requires considerable amount of blowing . I thought it would be free flow. I also disconnected the t on top of engine bay where it goes directly to air filter and that requires considerable amount of blowing . Is that normal. I thought it would be free flow

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a very small inside diameter, so you won't move a lot of air. If you think air is getting through, that should be enough to vent.

Probably just a leaking seal then. We've ALL had one, or more. I've replaced three myself (one on my ride and two on TheCaptain's).

It's straightforward. If you haven't opened and inspected your hubs before, it's a good idea anyway. Always good to check your bearings and gears in there, then reseal the access ports and replace other seals as needed. Sort of like changing the plugs and air cleaner on a car you just bought used, they may be OK but only when YOU do it can you be certain of when it was last done (and done well). Good time to wire brush and repaint them too, if they haven't been done in a while. Kinda like owning a house, the repairs are never finished....

BDGR

gestut

It's a very small inside diameter, so you won't move a lot of air. If you think air is getting through, that should be enough to vent.

Probably just a leaking seal then. We've ALL had one, or more. I've replaced three myself (one on my ride and two on TheCaptain's).

It's straightforward. If you haven't opened and inspected your hubs before, it's a good idea anyway. Always good to check your bearings and gears in there, then reseal the access ports and replace other seals as needed. Sort of like changing the plugs and air cleaner on a car you just bought used, they may be OK but only when YOU do it can you be certain of when it was last done (and done well). Good time to wire brush and repaint them too, if they haven't been done in a while. Kinda like owning a house, the repairs are never finished....

BDGR
So did some further troubleshooting. Unplugged the hose at the t under the engine bay. This hose goes to the top and eventually connects to air filter .That hose is definitely blocked . As i blew air thru the hose that goes to the air filter after disconnecting and the air blows much better . Yes I will be changing the seals but wanted to make sure it wasnt the clogged vent
Which i think it is. Thanks

kunland

HMMWV = High Maintenance Money Wasting Vehicle.

Get used to all of it's little surprises .
It's the gift that keeps on giving.
Most of the time when you least expect it.
BH
I see you are in Pasadena. I am nearby as well. Do you have someone who will work on HMMWV's or do you do all of the work yourself? I have a seal that needs to be fixed, but not sure I have the tools etc to get it done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks