• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee Pipe Doors

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been talking about this for a while, so finally I was able to find a shop in MI that was able to do the job.
The mounting part is made of steel and the pipes are aluminium, I was able to use the same door handles from the soft doors, I ended up cutting the outside door handle, since they aren't really needed and it looks better.
I still have the strap retainers on order and have some military 1"1/2 emblem on order to go ever the cut off door handles.
It is really nice to be able to rest your arm while driving or going off road. After searching online for pictures, we decided to go with straight pipes compared to the bent ones for the Jeep's, they seemed better fit for the Humvee.
I included before and after paint pictures

IMG_1672.JPGIMG_1677.JPGIMG_1678.JPGIMG_1680.JPGIMG_1682.JPG

Wire Fox

I like it man looks nice. Looks like some UTV doors.:beer:
I think even I could clone that. That might just be the winning ticket for what I'd use for rear doors when off-roading. I don't really want the full-blown 4-door configuration at any time, but see the merit behind taking off the filler panels and using the rear seats w/2-point seatbelts just for low-speed, off-road fun. Having some kind of door assembly to still help retain said passengers would be quite nice, in case of any odd mishaps.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the positive comments, I really like them.
Knowing what I now know, I would of done them myself, it's a fab shop that did the original work, so $750.00 for the doors and I bought the handles for $100.00
i guess , live and learn...

Wire Fox

Knowing what I now know, I would of done them myself, it's a fab shop that did the original work, so $750.00 for the doors and I bought the handles for $100.00
I don't feel like you had too bad of a run on your money. I'd value their work and materials at around $150 a door. The only thing I think you were reamed on was the door handles, as those can be had for about $30 each if you shop carefully.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, you are right, the cost is not the big issue, it was more the time it took, 3 weeks.
I ended painting them and adding the stainless steel hardware.
As for the handles, I used the old ones from my soft doors and bought new ones to replace them, 2 kits @ $49.00 from fleebay for a complete set.

Sintorion

I don't think $750 is too out of line. Probably 5 hours of work with set up plus materials, that is about right. It look like quality work which is worth paying for.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed Sintorion, the cost is reasonable compared to what they are selling for the Jeeps and the work that was involved.
The work on the pipes is really nice, I guess that I can brag that I have a one off set

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I like them. I contemplate making some for Janet's Jeep.

Thing is, you didn't know then what you know now. What you paid for was the knowledge.

Had you done it yourself, you'd have had at least one false start. Depending on the value you place on your time you'd have ended up more or less where you are now...

Mos68x

They look great! You'll never know what you can tackle until you try, there'll be successes and failures, but each is a learning point.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added one more thing to the pipe doors, I was able to find 1"1/2 hat pins, they fit over the handles that I cut off. Good or bad ??
IMG_1699.JPG

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Mos68X, I was not certain at first, but they are now part of the Humvee.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks